[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: stomping, cheering crowds~long

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BNBGSDS@xxxxxx, onaluzlead@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:38:53 -0600

Kathleen...I became dazed and confused after the 10th paragraph..and you
know what I mean..LOL..but got the gist of your post..so this will be
short. Want to support someone...take them aside, introduce yourself and
tell them they did well with their dog..that is unless he spooked. Give
them an "attar boy" for trying. this will go much further..then obscure
clapping form someone they don't know. However I stand firm..as
stated...have seen clapping for the hometown favorite..who didn't deserve
it...have seen handlers get their "group" together to clap for dogs they
were showing..some of which were unworthy..just to try to procure a win
that wasn't deserved. Most of the time..I am not even aware of who owns a
dog.. Who owns the dog is immaterial..I don't care if it is someone
prominent..or a newbie..I clap for what I  like..and won't support what I
don't like...Remember...everyone ooohed and ahhed at the emperors new
clothes..because the were concerned about making him "feel good"..it took a
kid to finally tell him he was buck naked...moral to the story...giving
support to attributes that don't exist sends the wrong message and is not
helping a person..but endorsing something that probably should not be
showing.

<onaluzlead@xxxxxxxxxx>; <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 1/26/2005 10:36:27 AM
> Subject: RE: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: stomping, cheering crowds~long
>
> Okay... Grainger.... Are you ready????  List...  Are you ready????????
> Gonna have a wee disagreement with Christine... HA HA HA  This might get
> LONG Christine... but then... you know me!!! LOL
>
> Frankly, this is what I do...I gauge the show by the entrants and decide
if
> I will clap or not; based upon gut feelings on the dog, or other
> circumstances at the show.
>
> If someone asks me to clap "for their dog"... I generally tell them... I
> don't clap for dogs unless "I like them".  So, if you hear me whoopin' it
> up, generally speaking it's because "gut" really like a dog.  If I'm
> clapping loudly, It means I like the dog enough to clap for it, but maybe
> not enough to whoop it up.  But if I'm clapping lightly, it's because I
feel
> it's only right to clap for people and their dogs who aren't getting any
> support after hearing that other bunch of noise.
>
> IMO there are few things more tacky and hurtful at the same time than
going
> to a dog show and hearing a dog go around the ring and everyone going nuts
> vs the next dog that no one knows going around the ring (regardless of
> quality), and ZERO response from the crowd.  So, in those cases, I will
clap
> for a dog.  Even if it's not the best one, because in my time in dogs I'VE
> BEEN WHERE THAT OWNER and HANDLER is, and IT HURTS!!!  If it's a pro...
the
> [...]
> clapped for him.  But the "made for a movie moment" kept coming as the
more
> the dog went, the more people clapped and screamed for him...  to me that
> was INCREDIBLE... to watch the crowd really get behind and go crazy a dog
> they didn't know.  Maybe it meant nothing to them ... but it meant a lot
> me; because the timing and decibels grew at such a rate that it had to be
> spontaneous.  That was very Thrilling!
>
> There is a certain group from a certain area that goes absolutely nuts for
> any dog that's from their area.  Frankly, I've watched the show, heard the
> decibles, tried to figure it out and said... must be a dog from that area
> (without looking at a catalog)... Invariably I'm right.  That's not right
> either folks... I mean really... I can not understand going "crazy" for
just
> any dog... because it's your friends or from your area.  Clapping sure,
> fin... but going crazy for a pig in a poke?  When you know better?
>
> I had the same problem when I first moved to Washington.  I went to an all
> breed show that had a huge 5pt major all weekend (you know... a 5pter
when 5
> pts was over 40 per sex)... and then watched the dogs and heard the
> crowds... ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  I remember asking James Hamasaki... "is
> this the quality of animals that are exhibited at all breeds that people
go
> nuts for regularly???".  His reply, "Oh yes".  My thoughts at the
time.....
> "oh my goodness..."  The quality of animals people were going wild for,
> was... well... I'll leave it to your imagination... and just give you a
> clue, it was nightmarish.  Ie .. hips higher than the wither???
>
> I personally like when clapping is spontaneous.  But I also know what it's
> like to be the recipient of "no clapping"... when I'm showing a decent
> animal because the "crowd favorite" has a huge "friend" contingent.
>
> So, IMO, Show some class.  Go bonkers for the dogs that are great quality,
> even if they're not yours.  Clap like mad for yours.  But don't forget
that
> there's someone else out there who's trying to be apart of our sport, and
if
> you want to shoo someone else away, don't clap - or clap lightly for
> everyone that's not "your favorite".  At least give them the respect
wanting
> to participate in our sport... after all... who knows, they may be the
next
> breeder or owner of a GV.
>
> Kathaleen
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Kathaleen Strong - Inflight Kennels Reg'd - Breeders of:
> 1995 US GV, AOE-1996 US GVx, Jubilee ROM
> http://inflight.cnc.net
> Check out the NW futurity Info: www.gsdcpacnw.org

FORWARDS
> of any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original author
> AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
> >
> > ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY
BE