[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: stomach worm

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ALL4MORIAH@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:47:17 EDT

That's a biiiigggggggg stretch <G>.

OTOH, I remember getting a two year old race horse in off of a well know
farm and this horse was so riddled with worms...well, it's morning, I'll spare
you the details.  If they were that bad when he was two, it only made sense
that whatever nutrition he had received during a time critical for development
was severely compromised.  He never did get to the point where he looked
rrreeeeaaaallllyyyy healthy or thrifty and his story didn't have a happy
ending.
I always wondered about the damage he'd suffered nutritionally and the effect
that had had on his bones.

That was a lot of years ago, and the lesson stuck.  No worms.   Worms
interfere with nutrient absolution and stunt development and once an  animal
misses
out during a growth stage, you can't go back.

Now, if your dog had worms as a baby that were severe enough to interfere  w/
nutrition and the breeder was concerned with the lasting effect on his
health, even bone density, I'd say they might have a point.  To draw a  direct
line
between that and DJD...well...still a very big stretch and I'd look  to the
pedigree before I blamed worms <G>.

BTW, by stomach worms are you all talking about a tape worm?

Dogs do get those from eating "critters".  Our routine protocol (Nemex  II,
heart Worm meds, etc.) doesn't do anything for tapes, so if a dog catches a
critter or has access to them, it's a good idea to worm for tapes 2x a  year.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 6/13/2008 12:14:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I had a  breeder tell me one time the dog he sold me had elbow dysplasia
because I  let it get "stomach worms".  LOL