[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: staying for group

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:29:30 -0400

I'm a bit late reading these emails, but I just responded to this a
couple of minutes ago, saying "it's an unwritten rule.

Helen has given a really good explanation...and yes, it is the handlers
who know where the various breeds belong.......

   I had a Pointer being specialed in California in the early/mid 90s,
and he was being shown by a friend, not by a professional handler.
I was out there one weekend to see him shown, and when she went to the
group, she was way back in the line.  I have to tell you,
this was a hell of a moving dog...and I went nuts...he wasn't going to
be able to move stuck back there with the little guys.
   My friend told me the handlers wouldn't make room for her in front.
(One of the top handlers had an Irish at the time...and he ws going to
be first in line no matter what.)
       Well, the next day I took him to the group ring myself.  And I
took him to the front of the line.  Of course, I was praying the whole time
that my friend could get there before we had to move...I didn't feel
like entertaining the world by dropping dead in the ring trying to run
with a big moving dog.........   no worries, she got there........   we
got a group two that day........and after that time she took him to
first or second in the lineup every time with no problems....the dog
also placed in the group almost every time he was shown and stayed
in the top 10 for over a year.  He was even No. 1 Pointer for a short
    when I had him here in the East, nobody every tried to keep him from
standing first in line, no matter who was showing him... we aren't
quite as political as they are in California!
  Peggy