[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: staying for group

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 10:23:58 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/2007 2:56:57 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
grnram415@xxxxxxx writes:

I  have always wondered that too.  I figured the order is by size and speed
of movement.  But, when I look at the total orders of all the Groups,  that
isn't really always so.  Ok, the Peke always goes last, like the GSD  always
goes first.  But, who determined the order?  Is it just an  unwritten law?
What
happens when new Breeds come in.  Is there  a focus group that determines the
order?  Such mysteries in the dog  show world :-)

Having judged Groups for 43 yrs,I'll try and answer that. Even when the GSD
was part of the Working Group,before the AKC divided it and created the
Herding  group,the GSD was usually in front as a courtesy,since if he was stuck
in
the  middle he was always being held up by the dog in front,so judges started
requesting the GSD  go in front -otherwise the Group got screwed. When the
Group was divided,the custom continued. Then when "moving dogs" like the
Bearded
 collies came into the group,they usually went behind the GSD,with the
Briards  and the 3  Belgium dogs.,with short legged like the Corgis at the
end. As
new dogs entered the Herding Group they sort of arranged themselves  according
to how their dog moved,since each Group handler wants to show off his  dog to
the  judge So if you had a fantastic Sheltie that moved  fast
beautifully.,he'd be up there near the front .A lot of times I separate a
Group,,saying
"table dogs" at the end,whether Terrier,Sporting Hound, Toys  are all table
dogs.
In Non Sporting A Chow is not going to try and get in front  of a
Dalmation,and the Bulldog is always last. Professional handlers  know  their
business,and
go in the ring in the correct order for the judge,following  common sense. Ii
isn't too often now,but at one time when the GSD Best of Breed  would enter
with an inexperienced person to the Group,they would just walk in  anywhere. I
would then have to ask the person to take his GSD up to the front.so  my Group
would not get fouled up, gaiting around the full ring.  That  doesn't happen
anymore since GSD people have become more experienced. Hope this  clarifies it
a bit for you Helen Miller Fisher