[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: stand behind / vet care? / sorry

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx>, <psharp212@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Elsyd1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:03:03 -0800

I tend to agree with Kathy.
I could also add a litany of horror stories of Vet's taking unknowing owners to
the cleaners
and never getting to real root of the problem....... and it is almost always
something simple.
We call them  "shopping center"  Vets.   <G>
They are always looking for something rare and exotic and forget the basics
like checking
for Lymes,  Pano,  tape,  etc.
i.e. New puppy in new home......a simple case of loose stools  from change of
water and they
are running tests for pancreatic problems.....puppy had a hard day of play with
older puppy
and limps for a day or so and they are sure it is dysplastic....." because it's
a GSD problem"...
With all the reems of paperwork and advice and information that we send with
each pet
puppy.....our last words are ALWAYS...."if you have any questions or concerns,
call us".

Standing behind a puppy or dog with a REAL problem is a lot different than a
Vet that
literally takes a new owner to the Cleaners and can't find one single thing
wrong and
therefore decides it could be a "pre disposition to an auto immune problem.as
most GSD
have that problem"........ or something of that ILK!

We had one 8 mos. old son of BOSS that the owner called us really upset as it
was
diagnosed with "WOBBLER'S SYNDROME"........a Doberman problem!!!
End of THAT horror story was the puppy had skidded on ice and fractured it's
back.... :o(

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

I know I'm not alone  with horror stories, so I ask again, and I'd love to
hear, "when you have  vet care like the above, just HOW MUCH is the breeder
expected to stand  behind???"

KATHY: AS DIFFICULT  AS IT IS, AND IT IS OFTEN TIMES MOST HEART-RENDING... WE
 MUST SURELY  STAND BEHIND THEM ALL,   AND TRY TO MAKE SENSE OUT OF OFTEN
NONSENSE AND DO OUR VERY BEST FOR THEM...BARB  W.

I probably wasn't clear.  I don't mean "stand behind" as in take a dog  back
who is no longer wanted.  I mean, do you (generic you), open your  wallet and
offer to pay for some of the nonsensical services I outlined in my  post where
an owner is taken to the cleaners, and if so, for what time period,  or in
the case where a dog dies from bad vet care (as in the dog who bled out  from
treatment for Lymes) do you offer to replace, perhaps cover a partial costs  of
a new puppy, or even in some instances do you feel the owners were dumb
enough to go along with it, so they don't get a puppy because you don't want
another puppy to be subject to the same (science-project like) nonsense?

Realize too, I'm not speaking of a particular State's puppy lemon law,
although with some of the numbers I've thrown out there, thank God they limit a

breeder's liability to the cost of the puppy for a certain length of time.
(These things are starting to look good!)

I'm telling you, after seeing some of the things I've seen in the last few
years, I am seriously considering adding something to my puppy packet
suggesting  folks call me before they start running up bills if they question
procedures.  Come on, $1,500 for "front limb" x-rays????  I pay  $60.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_