[ SHOWGSD-L ] speaking of male dogs

  • From: Denise Williams <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 08:26:31 -0700 (PDT)

Chase is a bit like that, and he's starting to grow up a bit, but he lacks some
confidence where people are concerned.  He feels the need to alert me every
single time someone walks past my apartment door, or or walks anywhere near the
outside of the building. But he only does this when we are at the apartment. He
doesn't do this a training classes or in pet stores or anywhere else.  I just
do my best to assume the alpha role in every situtation.

As for keeping males, I have only owned male dogs, and only male animals,
except my rabbits and two cats. I just prefer males and can't be bothered with
cranky females and heat cycles. I guess I will never be a breeder, but I'm
going to do my best to raise some of the best stud dogs in the mid west :)
Denise and Chase (the conformation crash test dummy)

I think of dog actions as more confident or not-confident behaviors. A
confident dog is not worried by other dogs in the ring, other dogs barking at
him, yada yada. He knows his own skin & is comfortable in it. A non-confident
dog is worried...about everything. Everything is a potential threat. I find
non-confident dogs to be a major pain to raise. They bark at the drop of a leaf
& generally treat all humans with suspicion.
A confident dog on the other hand, treats everyone fairly except weirdos. When
a confident dog goes with you in the car, they don't see the need to warn you
that you're passing a bicyclist, they figure you know.
Confidence is one of those traits that you've got or you've not. You can help a
non-confident dog do
Diane

 for the edge of your seat?
http://tv.yahoo.com/