[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: soup

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: SallyHH31@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:41:15 EST

I make my own beef stock, starting w/ roasting beef bones smeared w/ a
little tomato paste in a hot oven.  (The paste will caramelize). Next,  bring
the
bones to a simmer in a stock pot and cook all day. Drain and cool  stock,
skimming off any fat.  (A little burgundy added here would be  good).

Next day...

I prefer beef cubes made of top round roast for soup.  Brown them in a
little oil.  Sweat some onions, carrots and celery in the bottom of a dutch
over.
Add stock.  Add browned beef cubes.  Add browned bits from  the pan you
browned the meat in and the sheet pan you roasted the bones on.  Simmer on low
(or
place covered in a slow oven or alternately, use a crock pot)  until you can
pull the beef apart with 2 forks.  By now, the vegetables you  started with
have melted into nothing, so next I add a bag of frozen petite  carrots and a
bag
of frozen cleaned pearl onions.  I like to add dried  mushrooms for richness.
 Re-hydrate a combination of dried mushrooms, being  careful to keep the
water you re-hydrated them in, add mushrooms to soup, strain  liquid through a
coffee filter and add "mushroom water" to the pot.  Add  barley.  Simmer until
vegetables and barley are cooked through.   Season to taste.

Ok, here's my problem when it comes to soup....my eyes are bigger than the
pot!!!!  Friends can tell you I run out of room in the pot when making  soup,
lol:)

If this happens to use, before you add the barely and vegetables, the stock
with the beef freezes well.  (I don't think the
carrots/onions/mushrooms/barley taste good after being frozen, and the carrots
aren't pretty, so split the
base, freeze some and keep going <G>.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 2/13/2008 1:35:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
SallyHH31@xxxxxxx writes:

Ok you  all !! Does anyone have a recipe for extra good beef and barley soup

? My dog loves it also.
SallyHH

Awards. Go to AOL Music.