[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: snakes

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: chcohosh@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:34:36 EST

In a message dated 11/20/2009 6:14:34 A.M. Central Standard Time,
chcohosh@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Don't know how it got in in the first place - can't  imagine
it coming thro the kennels with all the dogs. I have four  more dogs
upstairs
with me and none of them have alerted or been  acting strange

They only observation I have made when a snake is in the  outside kennels
run...they just avoid where it is and are a bit  quieter.  They are not good
tattle tales on this one.

Once inside, they only thing I can say is turn everything  upside down to
find it or your mind will get no peace.  I have only  had 1 get in the house
and knew what area it was in so did this. Did read  somewhere that if inside
they will avoid the sound and vibes from a vacuum  cleaner so that may
helps.   The other thing that makes them  surface is the smell of ammonia, not
bleach.

Outside, monthly I put out moth balls a few feet beyond all  the kennel
fencing and places the dogs cannot get to.  Snakes   hate the smell of them.
Cats around outside also  aids as they will kill snakes.  Just don't kill
king  snakes.........they eat the rest of the snake population and are not
poisonous.
What area do you live in?  Do you have venomous snakes  around?  If so did
you at least get a reasonable look at the one you  saw to identify it?  If
not, and you do have the more nasty snakes in  your area, be very cautious
while looking for it. Have a straight edge  shovel or machete just in case.
Good  luck!

Molly

Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont  (recording secretary), Life member
CKC
"We find comfort among those who  agree with us - growth among those who
don't".
..Frank A  Clark