[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: snakes

  • From: TISHW@xxxxxxx
  • To: kayek9@xxxxxxx, terrycochran97756@xxxxxxxxx, jhelee929@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 19:44:20 -0400 (EDT)

How do you teach a dog to avoid a snake?  Last year we had a  copperhead
get in the garage.  Fortunately he was not out where the dogs  were but where
there's one in the area there are bound to be others.

Tish

In a message dated 6/28/2013 6:56:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kayek9@xxxxxxx writes:
Both of  my dogs that got bit had not gotten the vaccine. Here is AZ, the
anti venom  seems to be in short supply, it was not even offered to me as an
option for  either dog. Both dogs received sub q fluids, pain meds, heavy
doses of an  antihistamine and had blood work done several times. I kept them
on Benadryl  for about a week afterwards, but their blood work came back
normal after 4  days. Lots of swelling and edema, but they were back to normal
after about 10  days. The dog that got bit this past March is 12 1/2 years
old, I was very  worried about him, but he's fine, no shot, no anti venom.
They have since been  snake trained, hopefully if they encounter another
rattler in the yard,  they'll run the other way!!

Kathy
www.kayeshepherds.com