[ SHOWGSD-L ] sllowing it down...

  • From: "Laurie Pruett" <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 13:49:49 -0500

In MHO, judges have to take charge of their rings.  I remember a judge
(I believe it was Cappy at the MSP specialty over 10 years ago) who
stopped the first handler midrace and told him to start over at the
proper pace on a loose lead.  The other handlers followed suit, and the
dogs were shown properly for the rest of the day.  If this were done
consistently, dogs would be ring trained differently.  As it is now,
dogs who are not racing at the end of the lead look like there is
something wrong with them, by comparison.

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
RiverRock

If the practice of racing around the ring no longer "paid off"  - in
other words, if our judges stopped rewarding a performance that is
impossible to evaluate properly - then dogs would no long be trained and
conditioned to behave that way.  This dogs are smart - they'll do what
we train them to do.

Laurie