[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: skunk remedy

  • From: Blackoaks1@xxxxxxx
  • To: jube@xxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 01:17:13 EST

Judy,
I did not see any replies to your question, so in the event that no one
answered you in private,
this is what we used at The Dog House when I worked there for skunked  dogs:
First bathe in a mild soap such as Ivory liquid.Use alot of  soap. Rinse
well. (Dog still stinks) Follow bath with a mixture of one  gallon of warm
water
and a whole bottle of the dry medicated Massengill  douche powder. Shake well
until all the powder desolves, then pour over the  entire dog. Do not rinse
this off. This will usually make the dog bearable  to be in the house.
Bear in mind that each time the dog's coat gets wet in the next 4-6 weeks,
it will reactivate the skunk smell. Some people say tomato juice will
deactivate  the skunk smell, but have found that most groomers use the
Massengill, with
 better results. Good luck.    Marcia

Black Oak German Shepherds Hillsboro,  Missouri
http:members.aol.com/Gsdman2/Mikey.html