[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: show/money

  • From: "Beth Reynolds" <beth0024@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:13:51 -0600

National Board Meeting Ft. Collins CO in
July!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Dont Forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please Come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I agree it does take money to buy a nice dog and then buy all of the
stuff you need to show it, or at least make your life easier while showing.
Take note of the good Jr.'s in your area.  I know this has been said many
times before however I will say it again.  Book a good Jr. Our male finished
with us only going to two out of state shows ( boarder states) my husband
put two singles and a 5 pt. major reserve on him and our family friend who
was just out of Jr.'s at the time put two 5 pt majors and the rest of his
points on him.  He finished at the age of 4 but he did it locally and we got
to do this thing as a family in the Denver area which means shows throughout
Denver,Longmont,Ft.Collins, Colorado Springs and Pueblo which are no further
than 2 1/2 hours away and with friends all around.  This way we had ringside
support for our wins and we were able to be supportive in return.  Since my
husband and I don't have all the money in the world which I feel makes us
like the majority of dog folks.  This is how we chose to handle our boys
show career.  He didn't go away from home with someone else( which I just
cant do), he slept at home most nights(vs a hotel with us) and we knew the
area and what to expect from the show sites.
This worked for my family and we have our first Ch. and it was a blessing on
how much it didn't cost to finish him.
Beth  Mom of Ch. Tollhaus State Of The Heart HT,PT,TC OFA H&E.
Colorado

Ps Also has his HT, PT and TC all done in our back yard.  Colorado is
awesome.  Many shows, herding and fantastic weather for the dogs.  Also no
fleas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Don't forget to attend the July board meeting in Ft.
Collins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a message dated 6/24/2005 9:27:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
With all  the talk lately on here about what it takes to get a "show"
dog, the money  it costs, the time it takes,   could this be the reason
why  numbers are falling?     I would expect many don't have the  money
it's said to take,   or the time either.   It's either for the rich
or those who don't mind being broke  all the time.    Probably many of
us fit into the latter group  LOL.
Anne

I doubt it because people still "do" things with their dogs that cost  $$$$$
but are perceived as being more fun and enjoyable.

As far as "getting" a show dog, looking at it from another angle, as one
who
breeds an occasional litter when I want to keep something for ME ~ when  the
cost of a companion puppy @ 8 weeks is similar to or in some areas may even
exceed what a "show home" would expect to pay after the breeder assumes all
the
 risk and grows the baby out a bit, and then IF the puppy for whatever
reason
 doesn't meet expectations, the breeder has to place an older youngster at a
much  reduced $$$$ ~ when basically all the companion home wants @ 8 weeks
is
a health  certificate and a reasonable hip guarantee and the show home wants
next year's  superstar, w/all sorts of guarantees, who BTW has to meet the
approval of their  handlers, their regional club members, friends and anyone
who
cares to offer an  opinion at each and every stage of the youngster's growth
and development or for  sure you're 'gonna hear about it ~ and MOST
importantly
IMO ~ when the  likelihood of a companion puppy going to a forever home and
living a life close  to that of a much loved child far exceeds that of a
"show
prospect" who is one  of many and may or may not be next year's superstar
and
if not, you have to  wonder where it will end up ~ the temptation is to let
promising baby go  at 8 weeks and wish it a long healthy life and if the
only
folks who enjoy its  beauty are the owners and their neighbors...so be it.
Is
it any wonder there are  a whole lot of nice dogs laying on couches?

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_