[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showing off lead

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx, thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 11:13:37 -0700 (PDT)

It would be easy to teach a GSD to Boundary to the ring rope. In C coarse
herding you teach a dog to stay with in a boundary line when tending sheep. As
far as teaching a dog to stop in a stack that is not hard to do at all. You
first teach them what a stack is ( I use setup said very fast. Then every time
you see them in a stack you say What a Pretty Dog. Next when you are out and
off lead the dog will start free stacking to get your attention. When you see
him do it say Good Pretty Dog. Then reward with what ever makes your dog happy.
Toy or treat. Sowing off lead could only be taught to the soundest of animal.
Dog aggression is just another form of bad temperament as far as I am
concerned. I have owned some very tough dogs and I have never had a dog fight.
  Terry on the Fairway

  It has happend often enough that most of us have probably seen the droppe
lead or a slipped collar at a show, in a class. Many dogs just run out of the
ring to their doubler, as I guess they should under the circumstance.

But if you watch next time, does the dog break gait? Does the dog go after
another dog? Does the dog stop and poop mid ring?

Most likely the dogs will finish their turn around the ring before bolting in
any direction for anything including aggression.

Our dogs do the jobs we ask of them. If we asked them to move properly without
a lead, most would get it and do it just fine. The trick would be to get them
to set up when they stop. It would be easy to make the sit, but for
conformation, that would not be the thing to do, they would have to set up.

As for AKC rules, if we started this at matches and futurities, and our
National, I bet it would become common practice at specialties in no time.
Without reps to breath down our necks, as they rarely attend specialities, and
as long as handlers did the training for it, it would be much fun!!!!

I know there is one person out there in List Land who does train their dogs to
move around the ring off lead, Mom keeps telling about this.........no names,
but you could comment on how easy or not it is to train a GSD to move around
the ring alone.....
sheila

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original