[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showing a long coat story

  • From: "Rebecca Little" <pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>, "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:33:51 -0400

This is from the AKC site for GSD's
Coat
The ideal dog has a double coat of medium length. The outer coat should be
as dense as possible, hair straight, harsh and lying close to the body. A
slightly wavy outer coat, often of wiry texture, is permissible. The head,
including the inner ear and foreface, and the legs and paws are covered with
short hair, and the neck with longer and thicker hair. The rear of the
forelegs and hind legs has somewhat longer hair extending to the pastern and
hock, respectively. Faults in coat include soft, silky, too long outer coat,
woolly, curly, and open coat.

Here is for other breeds when it comes to coats
Shiba Inu Breed Standard
Coat
Double coated with the outer coat being stiff and straight and the undercoat
soft and thick. Fur is short and even on face, ears, and legs. Guard hairs
stand off the body are about 1½ to 2 inches in length at the withers. Tail
hair is slightly longer and stands open in a brush. It is preferred that the
Shiba be presented in a natural state. Trimming of the coat must be severely
penalized. Serious Fault--Long or woolly coat.

Cardigan Welsh Corgi Breed Standard
Coat
Medium length but dense as it is double. Outer hairs slightly harsh in
texture; never wiry, curly or silky. Lies relatively smooth and is weather
resistant. The insulating undercoat is short, soft and thick. A correct coat
has short hair on ears, head, the legs; medium hair on body; and slightly
longer, thicker hair in ruff, on the backs of the thighs to form "pants,"
and on the underside of the tail. The coat should not be so exaggerated as
to appear fluffy. This breed has a shedding coat, and seasonal lack of
undercoat should not be too severely penalized, providing the hair is
healthy. Trimming is not allowed except to tidy feet and, if desired, remove
whiskers. Soft guard hairs, uniform length, wiry, curly, silky, overly short
and/or flat coats are not desired. A distinctly long or fluffy coat is an
extremely serious fault.

Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen Breed Standard
Coat - The coat is rough, long without exaggeration and harsh to the touch,
with a thick shorter undercoat. It is never silky or woolly. The eyes are
surmounted by long eyebrows, standing forward but not obscuring the eyes.
The ears are covered by long hair. The lips are covered by long hair forming
a beard and moustache. The tail is well furnished with hair. The overall
appearance is casual and tousled.

The natural, casual and tousled appearance of the breed is vitally
important. While some neatening is occasionally necessary, he should be
shown naturally. Dogs whose coat has been altered by excessive grooming,
sculpting, clipping, or by artificial means shall be so severely penalized
as to be effectively eliminated from competition.

Spinone Italiano Breed Standard
Coat:
A Spinone must have a correct coat to be of correct type. The ideal coat
length is 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches on the body, with a tolerance of 1/2 inch
over or under the ideal length. Head, ears, muzzle and front sides of legs
and feet are covered by shorter hair. The hair on the backsides of the legs
forms a rough brush, but there are never any fringes. The eyes and lips are
framed by stiff hair forming eyebrows, mustache and tufted beard, which
combine to save fore face from laceration by briar and bush. The coat is
dense, stiff and flat or slightly crimped, but not curly, with an absence of
undercoat. The Spinone is exhibited in a natural state. The appearance of
the Spinone may not be altered. The dog must present the natural appearance
of a functional field dog. Dogs with a long, soft or silky coat, the
presence of undercoat, or any deviation of the coat is defined in this as
well as excessive grooming, i.e., scissoring, clipping, or setting of
pattern shall be severely penalized as to eliminate them from further
competition.

After all the examples about trimming, scissoring, clipping ect what is your
conclusion when comparing the GSD's standard to the other breeds which
specifially so no clipping, scissoring or trimming????
Rebecca Little
Peakes Brook German Shepherds
http://sites.centralpets.com/mammals/peakesbrookgsd/index.html