[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showgsd-l .....Pick your tools well

  • From: EllenH33@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:28:48 EDT

Thank you, Sean.  You saved me posting.  I could add a bit more but it would
be redundant.  Besides, Evan, by his own admission, doesn't plan the
breedings.  Tedi does.
*\|/* *\|/* Ellen  *\|/* *\|/*
***From w.NY***
http://www.geocities.com/jeenellyn33/

In a message dated 8/25/2005 4:17:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:15:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: PlushPuppyOhio <plushpuppyohio@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Pick your tools well

Evan,

I couldnt disagree with you more.  And my gut says this is all just a play on
words. You say its to show what to look for in the show ring..... and that is
separate from me producing animals to take to the show ring?  Its all
circular.   In order to breed correct animals, you HAVE to understand the
Standard.
In order to judge what is correct, you have to understand the standard.
Seeing where the front foot would touch ground on correct movement, for some is
about seeing it.... which might be on a peice of paper.  Ive talked to MANY old
timers, who really dont know what correct front reach is... so im going to take
their word and produce their movement?.  For me to take someone to a show and
try to get them to see correct shoulder, where the foot should make contact,
where the crossover should occur underneath etc... is very hard on a moving
animal.  It all happens so fast and they dont know what they're looking at to
begin with.   To show them a document that illustrates
pictures.... is a lot easier.  Once they see that, then it makes their
ability to look at a moving animal easier.   All of us need to understand the
standard... whether your juding or breeding or showing or whatever.  Some of us
are
more visual.  The IS just enhances the understanding of what is being talked
about.

So yes... I do use the standard (and IS) to help plan my breedings.  If that
isnt the correct wording that i should be using... forgive me.  But when it
comes down to it, we all should be using the standard.... and the IS is just a
tool to help understand the standard.  If the standard calls for no missing
teeth, and shows a picture of correct teeth arangement, and I have a lot of
missing teeth, I'll certainly consider finding a dog to breed to that has no
missing teeth in its lines.

(And no... I have never had a missing tooth... so please dont think all my
dogs have missing teeth!!!)  ha ha!!!

Sean