  • From: Pauline Moon <ropajagsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 19:37:50 -0700 (PDT)

Think AGE...Most of us including the ladies that were mentioned running around
those big specialty rings were in our 20-35yrs at the time; I was never a track
star either, but back then I could easily keep up with the sustained gait of a
GSD....today the best most of us (always exceptions of course) can do are
the All Breed rings which are usually smaller....Those legs which were awesome
in the 60's are not so awesome when they (the legs)are 60 years PLUS...grin!
would LOVE to be able to show my own dogs again, but I am physically not able,
and it is not necessarily because the dogs are going faster, but rather that I
am going slower...Some dogs have been racing around the ring for many
decades...maybe we only notice it more now because we are on the outside
looking
in, I am not saying that dogs should race, I am just saying that they have and
they do in some rings....that is why we are encouraging young legs to get in
there and keep up with the gait of our GSDs...even when they are not
racing...yeah, I maybe today, I could make it around the ring one time? but by
the time I would do the individual around the ring, the up and back, around the
ring again as a group and then any extra times around the ring depending on the
judges procedure or the quality of the dogs that required more comparisons
etc... I would if not collapse, be on the verge of it.
Don't blame the dogs racing totally...blame the fragile condition that come
with
our advancing age in varying degrees, we are not quite as agile as we used to
be
and that is reality...Speaking for myself, I cannot properly gait a GSD around
specialty sized area more than once, after that I would be hanging onto the
lead
and either holding it back or it would be holding me up...and I am not talking
about in an actual show, I am just talking about gaiting my dog on private
property without other dogs around...so no racing involved...legs just won't
keep up that sustained gait that is a requirement to keep up with our
GSDs...it
definitely is a "long distance" issue and not a short sprint...And if all you
do
is mess up your dog's gait, instead of letting an agile handler show them at
their best, my ego simply would not allow me to make my dog look bad, just
because I would love to show him myself, that would make it all about me and
not
my dog....just my humble opinions....
As for other breeds, there are only a few that I can think of that have that
great strides and sustained gait that requires stamina and/or young legs to
keep
up in a big ring....most of the other breeds trot or in some cases meander
around the ring...their strides seem to be very short, even when they are
going
at a fast clip and therefore relatively easy to keep up with...

Pauline Moon
WWW.Ropajagsd.com

From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How we survive

They used to be shown in a manner that allowed Ann Mesdag, Ginny McCoy, and
other woman who were not track stars to show them successfully. Now we race
them
like there is a start and finish line.
What happened to slow, smooth, effortless sidegait?
Ruth