  • From: Christina Klahn <ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 09:42:23 -0700 (PDT)

Carolyn, while I don't always agree with all your opinions, I think you are
dead on with this.

I do think it comes down to handlers and judges though because as long as the
"wrong" dogs keep winning, our breed will continue to go in the direction it
is.  I fully endorse handlers have a play in the breed ring for those that
physically cannot handle their dogs, but when an owner/handler walks in with an
automatic handicap, that is WRONG!  It should be the best dog that day, no
matter who is on the other end of the leash!  Unfortunately, many times it's
not.  There are WAY too many "bought" champion titles out there right now.  It
also comes down to breeders doing the right thing and breeding dogs worthy of
being bred, not just for money.

As far as temperament, I have to give my take.  I've had 4 really nice dogs
since I started about 10 years ago.  My first has a great temperament for the
most part, but she stresses way to easily.  I mentioned this to the person I
purchased her from (a very well known handler BTW) and was told "that's the
sign of a good herding dog if they stress easily."  At the time I took him for
his word.  Knowing what I do now, my response would have been "excuse me?!"

I now have a bitch that in my opinion is everything our breed should be.  At a
recent show, I was told "your dog doesn't stress at all, does she?"  My reply
was "this dog doesn't know the meaning of the word" (with a smile on my face).
She has a "golden retriever" attitude towards people, but don't kid yourself
into thinking she won't defend what she cares about.  I've seen her!!  She's
"protected" her nose work class from an "intruder."  Now granted the intruder
was supposed to be there, but she didn't know that.  She only knew this mystery
person came out of somewhere she wasn't supposed to be.  Once she recognized
the person, the golden retriever returned to the surface.  Everyone in the
class looked at me and said "remind me not to come to your house unannounced!"
I was a proud mommy that day knowing my girl will come to my aid if ever
needed.  This bitch was also watching fireworks with me this year on the 4th
(the huge ones mind you)
 without flinching while the other 2 cowered inside in their crates with the
music cranked so loud you could hear it from the street.  This bitch has also
done ANYTHING I've asked her to, lure coursing, nose work, conformation,
obedience, helping hand, etc.  Isn't that what this breed is supposed to be?!

You tell me which of my dogs has the best temperament.  I know how I'd pick and
I'd get another from her breeder in a heart beat!!  IMHO, she's doing it right
by not just taking the "well known dog" syndrome and balancing everything,
breeding for the total German Shepherd.  Will my bitch be a super star and get
in the top 10 in the breed for conformation?  Probably not, but I'll still take
her over 90% of what is out there.
Tina Klahn
Illusion GSDs
ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx

________________________________
From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: .. the little secret... unsound temperament
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 08:53:54 -0700

Most of the posts regarding temperament are all pretty much
right ON...
..from spooks to the real meaning of 'aloof'..to handling stress.

But MORE than even politics is the real 'root' of the problem.
We have become SO DEPENDENT upon the handlers to handle it for
us...and Judges have become SO DEPENDENT upon HOW a dog shows
rather than really judging them according to the Standard that
we are losing our own 'THE German Shepherd Dog' Breed.
It really is too bad.
How can we be concerned about good temperament, good feet, strong
athletic co-ordination, incorrect ribbing, etc....
when all that REALLY seems to matter is how the dog performs.
AND of course the ONLY THING so many seem to identify a great
dog with......front extension.  TO heck with a sound dog....<G>
As long as a dog or even a puppy "FLIES"  around the ring so that
it APPEARS they have a good front and their rear drops so that it
APPEARS they have good rear drive......the details of the Standard
do not seem to matter to so many.
It really is our own LOSS!
Don't get me wrong...I LOVE a great front...along with a powerful
rear drive hard topline and a great performance...
BUT when performance is ALL that matters...then we owe our souls to
"doggie camps"...handlers....and our own illusions!!
Really too bad.....

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.marhaven.com/