  • From: Debbie <xcaliburfarm@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 12:03:59 -0500

Insofar as horse (related to the bloat) are concerned, they are fermenters in
their digestive process so gas. While you or I or dogs for that matter, can
belch, or vomit when our guts are full, horses cannnot. Once down the throat,
it remains til it departs from the other end of things. THIS if why colic is
horses is NOT the same as the bloat in dogs and is therefore not linked as
genetic/heriditary but rather from the nature of the way things in horses are
entirely different from bloat in dogs. Yes, the problems in horses that
predispose the colic are many but they cannot be explained away by merely
conceiving the notion genetics has something to do with it. Unfortunately, a
mere change in the weather can cause a horse to die overnight simply because it
did not feel like sticking its nose into the water to drink on a cold day or
night...they cannot lap at it like a canine can. And this subtle downturn on
intake of water can 'jam' up the works and cause colic...impaction. Tapeworms
attach themselves to an area of the gut where it empties into the larger gut.
The waves inside the horse's digestive system are so strong that when this area
is full of tapeworms taking up the space normally open for food to pass
through, those same waves actually cause a vacuuming of the one gut into the
other and is responsible for 99% of one type of colic. The hindgut of the horse
in the cecum holds up to 35 pounds of food before emptying...lo and behold, we
would NOT want our dogs holding that kind of a load....but one could well
imagine how when a tummy ache occurs, a horse lying down and rolling from the
discomfort might entice this large cecum full of food to go from the bottom of
the belly to the upper and twist, causing a colic situation and the same with
sand, loaded into the gut weighing it down is very similar.

All in all, horses are horses and apples are apples....no comparison, so there
is no need to say if not hereditary in horses, it could be entirely discounted
in dogs as a predisposing factor. Just telling it like it is on this one.....
Deb

Msg: #5 in digest
ubject: Pick your poison
rom: "myjoygs@xxxxxxx" <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>
ate: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:10:26 -0500 (EST)

 believe environment has a lot to do with bloat as well.  What about scenarios
here the dog has been away from home (for showing, training, stud etc) some
ogs are laid back enough and take everything in stride and then there are dogs
hat do not.  I think there are a lot of factors, stress, genetics, food, etc.
 know a story where a dog was at a handlers for months for showing, the owners
appen to be in town and visited then left and the dog bloated and died.. to me
hat clearly is stress related, like any health issue some can lie dormant and
e triggered by something.  Breeding is a crap shoot you never know what your
oing to get health wise, every line has something, its like pick your poison.
now your lines well and what lies in them and try not to double up, which is
ard because some won't disclose what they have experienced in their lines.  How
an a breeder make an informed breeding decision without having all the facts.

majority of our dogs we breed go to
 pet homes who are loved and spoiled and the heart ache that these pet owners
xperience when their pet becomes tragically ill and they spend thousands to
ave their beloved dog.  Or  how many of us have had that special show dog and
t bloats, torsions or a litter that we have to put down, innocent puppies,
ecause of mega, its heartbreaking.  We have to do the best we can and be well
nformed of what is in our lines and those we breed to and try not to double or
riple up on it, I think it an eye opener when you go to breed

Click here:  http://dare2dream.124online.com/
if you like what you see, I'll put you on the waiting list!
Retire in 24 months with $100,000 per month.

 One Company - One Team - One Hundred Thousand$ - One24
Growth with my company is changing so many lives. Make your health a
priority and we will pay you! It's time for you to do something for yourself !

   #1: From: Connie Cupps <cuppsconnie@xxxxxxxxx>
       Subject: vacation - hold mail
Msg: #1 in digest
ate: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 05:27:26 -0800 (PST)
rom: Connie Cupps <cuppsconnie@xxxxxxxxx>
ubject: vacation - hold mail

www.c-j-shepherds.com
 & J Dog Boarding
634 Idle Rd
t. Paris Ohio 43072
easonable Rates - Luxury Settings
our Dog's Home Away From Home"
--- On Mon, 1/3/11, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

rom: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ubject: showgsd-l Digest V5 #25
o: "showgsd-l digest users" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ate: Monday, January 3, 2011, 8:11 AM

howgsd-l Digest    Mon, 03 Jan 2011    Volume: 05  Issue: 025
In This Issue:
   #1:    From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
       Subject: Sam Lawrence
   #2:    From: Penny & Bill <ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   #3:    From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
   #4:    From: Cynthia Van Den Berge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
       Subject: Re: Sam Lawrence
   #5:    From: "myjoygs@xxxxxxx" <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>
       Subject: Pick your poison
   #6:    From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
       Subject: Re: Chest, depth, gut & root...<G>
Msg: #1 in digest
rom: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
ate: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 06:50:20 EST
ubject: Sam Lawrence
Got this message from both Marion,Sam's wife, and Kathy Steen on  Sunday,
elen Miller Fisher

elen-  I wanted you to know Sam passed away this afternoon.  You  may pass
his on to anyone you think knew him.
Thanks and Happy New Year        Marion

-----------------------------
Msg: #2 in digest
rom: Penny & Bill <ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ubject: Sam Lawrence
ate: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:03:52 -0500
The fancy has lost one of its great ones.  I remember the 80s when Sam
ook the time to offer advice to a rank beginner (me.)  He had a kind
emeanor and what knowledge of the breed!  Please let me know if
nyone will be doing a memorial for him in The Review--I want to be
ounted IN!
Penny in NC
------------------------------
Msg: #3 in digest
rom: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
ate: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:06:42 EST
ubject: Sam Lawrence
Sam Lawrence,was one of our Former GSDCA Presidents,serving that  office
nd our club the two years before I became President. He and Marion were  both
SD Judges, as well as being completely involved is the All Breed  Dog
orld,with a number of top winning dogs. He was also a  collector  of art and
lways used one of his  art paintings for their Christmas  card each year. He
as not been well for some time,and had home nursing care for  this past
ear.   Rest in Peace Sam     Helen  Miller Fisher

elen
am passed away this afternoon.  I  think the service will be on Wed.  He
s being cremated
Kathy

-----------------------------
Msg: #4 in digest
rom: Cynthia Van Den Berge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
ubject: Re: Sam Lawrence
ate: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 06:27:05 -0600
My dad and Sam were like oil and water..lol.  They knew each other not through
ogs, but through trap shooting...both were big, loud and had their own ideas
bout things!  They never got along.  I like to think that maybe they can sort
hings out sooner rather than later in the hereafter cause eternity is really a
ong time!  Cynthia

Sent from my iPad
On Jan 3, 2011, at 6:06 AM, VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Sam Lawrence,was one of our Former GSDCA Presidents,serving that  office
 and our club the two years before I became President. He and Marion were  both
> GSD Judges, as well as being completely involved is the All Breed  Dog
 World,with a number of top winning dogs. He was also a  collector  of art and
 always used one of his  art paintings for their Christmas  card each year. He
 has not been well for some time,and had home nursing care for  this past
 year.   Rest in Peace Sam     Helen  Miller Fisher

 Helen
 Sam passed away this afternoon.  I  think the service will be on Wed.  He
 is being cremated

 Kathy

 ===========================================================================>
OST is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the original

 Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group and
ts administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions expressed in
ny post.

ANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION
F ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
S A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

[...]

riple up on it, I think it an eye opener when you go to breed your bitch and
ook around for something to breed to and notice that the gene pool is getting
ery very small trying to find something that is relatively free of health
ssues.  Ideally breed to lines that are free of health issues, sadly if we did
hat today, there would be no litters and eventually no german shepherds, what
s the solution?  JMHO
Joyce