[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showgsd-l Digest V5 #2294 Sara

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:42:46 -0800 (PST)

Sara,

I have heard UKC judges commend certain GSD's looking better than the AKC's but
the dog were bred as they were back in the early years. The mix of
German-American lines which brings out the older look.  I stood next to the
GSD's I knew going into AKC Shows for people to ask why the dogs are walking on
their hocks and pasterns.  There are some very good GSD breeders out there but
many of the times do not attend lots of the shows in certain areas.  Do not
judge all the GSD's from a few shows you might have attended that did not have
the best dogs there.

If you could obtain the old Shepherd Reviews dating back in the 20-60's you
would see the years in how the GSD changed.  In the earlier years the American
GSD breeders used German imports which today most only breed American
bloodlines by inbreeding, line-breeding or out-crossing American lines.  The
German Shepherd Dog has changed in looks since the early years.  When I grew
up I saw my relative's GSD they brought
here from Austria which were very different than both America or German GSD's
of today.  They were very correct in their conformation with beautiful
expressive heads and they showed no fear in any situation.  Which were more
the model of the founders GSD's  Max von Stephanitz.  I have had GSD
involvement all my life but showed and was a breeder of horses instead of dogs.

I own Max von Stephanitz first English version printed in Germany and in there
is a white GSD which was removed in later years when translated. The first
German version also has the white GSD there but there is no mention of who the
dog is in either version.

People do change of their likes and dislikes neither America or Euro countries
breed what they did years ago.  Good or bad it is just a fact of life and
there are those who believe it is better today than it was then.

Years ago there was a breeder whose name was Lloyd C. Brackett of Long-Worth
Kennels who was in my home town of Allegan, MI.  My father was born in 1912
lived near Allegan and talked of Long-Worth GSD's and when he was a boy owned a
GSD but I do not know if it was one of his.  As what I have heard and read he
was a strong breeder of inbred to inbreeding his lines.

"One of the fathers of the German Shepherd in this country and the oldest
living continuous fancier of the breed in America (since 1912) his theories on
breeding have been more than proven in his Long-Worth Kennels where he
established his own strain in the breed and produced more than 90 champions in
only 12 years â??a worldâ??s record for any breed. Known affectionately as "Mr.
German Shepherd" he has proven beyond doubt the soundness of his breeding
program."

To be a good breeder of any animal you need to do your homework.  Talking to
successful longtime breeders that know what bloodlines that cross well and the
ones that do not.  Always remember too sometimes it isn't always how long a
person breeds GSD's but the knowledge they have on the breed. Knowledge does
come with experience but there are those out there even with the best
intentions don't always chose the right combination. Genetics can be very
tricky since genes of the past can come up to haunt you.  Anytime you bring
that puppy into the world you do need
to do your very best so it can find that special lifetime home.

Buying every book available on the breed on Genetics, learn by reading about
the great dogs of the past or genetic issues they might have had, or movement,
very good books for that are...

THE GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG: A GENETIC HISTORY by Malcolm B Willis

THE GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG: IT'S HISTORY, DEVELOPMENT AND GENETICS by Malcolm B
Willis

GENETICS OF THE DOG  by Malcolm B. Willis

THE COMPLETE GERMAN SHEPHERD by Milo G. Denlinger

THE GERMAN SHEPHERD TODAY by Winifred  Strickland  & James Moses

TOTAL GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG by Fred Lanting

GERMAN SHEPHERD IN WORD AND PICTURE  by Von Stephanitz

WORKING DOGS by Elliot Humphrey & Lucien Warner

THE DOG IN ACTION BY McDOWELL LYON

Hocks.
    Tightness and firmness of the hocks during movement is desirable. The
stability of the hocks is related to the relative lengths of all three sections
- the upper thigh (femur), lower thigh (tibia/fibula), and the hock. Too long a
hock, particularly when accompanied by a long lower thigh, allows for
considerable instability of the hindquarter drive. Some breeds may stand cow
hocked due to more angulation of the hindquarter. German Shepherds, but during
their natural gait (the trot), the hocks should be firm and remain upright.

Length of hock relative to end size in puppies. Long hocks tend to go with
increased size of the adult dog and a straighter hindquarter. Shorter hocks are
more desirable in most breeds as they often go with better turn of stifle and
greater firmness of hocks, therefore better transmission of drive. (*This is
well worth noticing when purchasing a puppy, particularly in breeds with a top
size limit of adults.)

Forequarter Angulation and Movement
  This is made up of several major components, being placement of shoulder,
height at the wither, relative lengths of the shoulder blade, upper arm,
foreleg and pastern â?? these all combine to determine the length of reach of
the dog. The effectiveness of the reach will ultimately also be affected by the
chest formation (which can alter with maturity), the strength and effectiveness
of the hindquarter drive as it is transmitted up and forward along the back.
With good balance of angulation, both reach and drive should be equally
effective.

Reach
Length of reach of the forequarter assembly is determined by the lay of the
shoulder blade, the relative lengths of the scapula (shoulder blade) and the
humerus (upper arm), the length of foreleg, and the 'arc of movement' that the
foreleg moves through.

Placement of Shoulder Blade
The definitions or terms used in this area are:

Well laid back - with the prosternum prominent (ie. visible in front of the
point of shoulder when viewed from the side), which allows for maximum arc of
movement from the top of the shoulder blade.

Upright (steep) - lacking prosternum â?? level with the point of shoulder or
not visible when viewed from the side. The effect on movement at the trot is
one of loose elbows (or lack of support by the chest) when seen coming towards
one.

Pasterns.
  The pasterns act as the cushioning device for the load on the front legs
during movement.

Good medium length and angle of pastern (15â??-20â??) will allow great spring
and flexibility of the pastern, reflected in a smoother gait as seen in the
German Shepherd .

Too long in pastern or too great an angle in relation to the foreleg, will
result in loss of spring, over extension of the ligaments and a looseness
(paddling effect) when viewed from front-on during movement. If severe, the dog
will fall on the forehand.

Theresa