  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 14:25:29 -0700 (PDT)

You are right to question it...

Yes, a horse and dog are very similar in structure and movement, which is all
based on their breed standard.

Both are suppose to have correct conformation to move correctly with cadence.
Not all but many Show GSD's and Show Horses of all breeds have changed
throughout the years. They now both have too long of pasterns which causes an
over-extension with looseness which results in a paddling movement. A pastern
should not be long showing weakness with setting down on the ground front and
back. The pastern should be of medium length and of correct angle which allows
for a better gait with more flexibility to move.  The GSD Standard states the
GSD is longer than tall so many believe the back is to be long which is not
true it is the length of the whole body that is suppose to be longer.  Now add
the straighter shoulders today which cause for less length of movement so
reason for the longer pasterns to compensate.  These animals no longer have the
endurance they once had if bred strictly for the show ring.

The first thing a person should learn is correct conformation and how it
pertains to movement.

A very good book for learning is The Dog in Action by McDowell Lyon.

Theresa

Subject: Structure
From: Sally Hayden <sallyhayden5@xxxxxxxxx>

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 07:26:02 -0500

I know nothing about the structure and movement of a horse. Are the basic
principles the same as a dog?  Reason I ask is that many of the extreme moving
shepherds are softer in Pastern then the less angulated moving dogs. In
watching that magnificent. 3 x's  national champion arabian   I questioned the
Pastern looseness on him. This common ? Is it desirable for moving thru sand as
they were originally bred for?  I know there are knowledgeable horse people on
this list.
Sally
www.embroiderybysally.org