  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:21:03 EST

In a message dated 2/18/2007 9:07:19 AM Pacific Standard Time, Showgsd-
Msg: #3 in digest
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:23:13 -0500
From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Bloat/Torsion DNA MARKER..LONG
Most of these kinds of studies start with one breed...if there is
success at identifying a marker, the researchers can then move on to
other breeds. It is easier to work within one breed at first, I believe.
peggy
Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx wrote:

>In a message dated 2/18/2007 2:55:53 AM Mountain Standard Time,
>Rikers123@xxxxxxx writes:
>

>>In addition, Dr. Pletcher has agreed to add a component to his research.
>>He
>>has agreed to look for a DNA marker for bloat/orsion. In GERMAN SHEPHERDS!
>>

>I'm curious about one thing......since bloat/torsion is not unique to GSD's,

>how will he find the DNA markers without using other breeds as well?
>Jamie

JAMIE:   PEGGY IS CORRECT.. WE HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF FINDING IT , BY
RESEARCHING  THE SAME BREED AND PARTICULARLY BECAUSE WE HAVE SUCH  VALUABLE
INFORMATION ABOUT THE EARLY  GSD GENERATIONS , AND THOSE OF WHICH WE KNOW WERE
AFFECTED SO THAT WE CAN TRACE IT RIGHT DOWN, PEDIGREE-WISE, WHICH ALSO
SIMPLIFIES
THE PROCESS.
 I DO NOT BELIEVE  THAT GERMAN SHEPHERDS HAVE EVER BEEN RESEARCHED AS AN
EXCULSIVE BREED. THIS WILL BE A FIRST!!!! HOPEFULLY THEY CAN DETERMINE NOT ONLY
THE DNA MARKER BUT THE WAY BLOAT/TORSION  IS INHERITED..
THAT WILL BE A GREAT BENEFIT TO THE BREED. I HAVE PERSONALLY,  LONG BELIEVED,
IT IS INHERITED AS A DOMINANT GENE WITH LIMITED PENETRANCE... JMO BARB
WILLIAMS