  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:57:14 EST

In a message dated 1/7/2007 9:46:31 AM Pacific Standard Time, Showgsd-
Msg: #1 in digest
From: "Paula Cooke" <psharp212@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Genetic Markers in the Breeding Pool
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 09:30:36 -0800

Who would decide which animals to cull and for what problems?
If we find genetic markers for cancer, DM, all types of bloat/torsion,
epilepsy, hypothyroidism, dysplasia, etc., and we remove all these animals
AND their siblings from the breeding pool, I wonder what will be left.

I remember when breeders culled all whites in their litters. Funny, but, we
still have whites available, being successfully bred, shown, and trained.

I once asked Barbara if she had known that Man O'War carried a genetic
marker for bloat if she would have neutered him. She said that yes, she
would have. All I could think of was what a loss that would have been to
the GSD of today! I had a Man O'War granddaughter years ago. I would not
give up that memory nor experience nor love for all the tea in China!!

Be careful what you wish for.

Paula, 280 days and counting

 PAULA:  WHEN   ONE OF 'MAN O' WAR'S'  SONS DIED OF BLOAT/TORSION I CALLED
EVERYONE WHO HAD HIS PROGENY THAT I COULD TRACK DOWN AND ADVISED THEM TO NOT
CONTINUE TO BREED OR LINEBREED, ON HIS LINES, AS I FELT THAT  BLOAT/GASTRIC
TORSION WAS GENETIC... I COULDN'T PROVE IT...I JUST  BELIEVED IT... STILL
DO...I
HAVE NEVER REGRETTED IT...  BARB WILLIAMS