  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:25:38 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2007 11:28:30 AM Pacific Standard Time, Showgsd-
Msg: #5 in digest
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:13:49 -0800 (PST)
From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: info on lupus in dogs

If this were an adult dog, I might consider that over vaccination was
involved. But this is a young dog that suddenly had swollen joints. He had
blood
drawn and was checked for tick born disease as well as for lupus. Other
standard
blood work was done too of course.

He tested positive for lupus and not for anything else. He has had an
immediate response to prednisone, the first dose improved his condition.

He is being tapered down after 3 doses of 40 mg. The does will be dropped 10
mg at a time after about 4 days on each level. The hope is that 10 mg a day or
even every other day will be enough to keep the problem under control. I will
also be seeking holistic methods of dealing with this. I have a vet's name.

My interest is in any info I can get on the genetic connection, if there is
one, and for any holistic treatments that anyone is partial to.

Any human based info will do too, as it is the same problem in both dogs and
humans.
sheila
shirley sommers <ssthunderpony@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Sheila: It is, as you know of course, an Auto-immune Disease and  concerning
the Genetics of it, the Auto-Immune Defiencey does   run in families...There
is an excellent article in one of the latest  GSD Reviews, titled  'The Rising
Storm' under Health & Genetics... articles...I think you will find lots of
really excellent information in that article.. Barb Williams