  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 18:52:48 EST

In a message dated 1/4/2007 3:04:24 PM Pacific Standard Time, Showgsd-
------------------------------
Msg: #5 in digest
From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 17:51:32 EST
Subject: Re: Tough Dogs to Handle

NOT so long ago....2001, maybe... This reminded me of the one show in which
my husband entered Casper. We knew he was overshot, and was going to nueter
him soon, (He was 18 months old or so), but Jim wanted to show him one time
(which meant I did LOL). Anyway, a handler that we knew came up to Jim and
without saying anything, put his hand on Jim's shoulder. Casper growled, hair

went up, JUMPED between Jim and the handler. And the handler backed off
quickly. Perhaps in our zeal to make our dogs 'temperament test proof', we
teach them that instinctive behavior like that is wrong?
Stormy Hope

In a message dated 1/4/07 2:40:59 PM, helen@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>That was a great explaination Barb Williams wrote. I had forgotten HOW IT
>WAS years ago and how we handled our dogs. Wow, that did bring back
>memories. Barb was spot on about the temperament way back then and how
careful we
>were slaping a friend on the back or reaching suddenly. The dogs were
tougher
>and the handlers used care. Thanks Barbara, an interesting insight into
>changes.
>Helen

 Stormy:  Personally, I think Casper was 'On the Job"....Good Boy!!!   I
recall one event that  others in that era also probably had to deal with and
still do today..
  We had an Insurance Agent and he came up to Our Kennel and Home , which
required him going thru a large  Iron Gate...On that Gate I had posted a sign
that said 'Beware of Dogs.'    He came inside and said, 'Get that Damn Sign off
that Gate!!! You want to get sued?? Are You comfortable  ADVERTISING THE  FACT
THAT SHEPHERDS WERE DANGEROUS.". I told him,  "They are NOT Dangerous , Not
to anyone who doesn't mess around with Me or Mine.." .. I still laugh when I
recall his answer...
   " A Judge will want to know exactly 'what messing around with them
means!!!!''
 I took down the sign, but with great reluctance.

 Later at another home in Squaw  Valley , way up and alone  in the Piney
Woods, where we had our Shepherds, I had people driving up our  long driveway
just
to get a closer look at  'those big dogs!'......So, I put up a sign ... that
was a big white board where I  hand-stenciled the words from one of my
favorite songs:and  nailed it to our Gate...down at the bottom of our
Driveway... ...

 "About these Big Dogs..".
You Don't  Tug on Superman's Cape...
You Don't Spit into the Wind...
You Don't Pull the Mask  Off the Old Lone Ranger....
And You Don't Mess Around With Them"..!!!!!!!!!!!!!..
 No Threat...Just Damn Good Advice!!!'

 Never had anymore 'Sight-Seerers",,Some  of which could  well have been in a
recent  Police "Line-Up."  Barb Williams