[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showgsd-l Digest V4 #1885-bears

  • From: Debbie <xcaliburfarm@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 21:40:10 -0400

We, too, have bears here in Florida...black bears, so behavior may be
different, I don't know. Here, the black bears will come out each day at
sundown and make their way through the forest toward the lake. They go into
each backyard where they know there is a trash can or dog food outside and will
do their best to scavenge, moving on to the next and so forth. They normally
will pass through yards where barking dogs are but won't aggresively pursue
those dogs unless the dogs move toward them. HOWEVER....with younger cubs (cubs
will be with their moms until the age of  two) they tend to wander ahead/away
from their mom's immediate vacinity but she is close by. She CAN and does get
aggressive if she feels her cubs may be in jeopardy. Recently a junior about 1
and a half years of age came out and was standing beside my shed on the other
side of a bush so I didn't realize he was there. I was headed for my truck and
heard the branches break under his feet and turned to see he was six feet from
me and between me and the house where I had my keys (I was getting something
out of the truck for the office). I froze. He froze. We stared at one another
for a couple minutes (all the while my mind was burning rubber...I know because
I smelled the burn...LOL) while I was picturing the mother coming out at me to
defend her youngster and then (I'm sure I don't know where it actually came
from because thinking back...I don't remember my being that brave....or stupid)
I yelled out in a deep, gruff voice, "Geeettttt Ouuuttttt offff Heeerrrreeee!!!"
The youngster stared at this crazy person for a second, looked over his
shoulder (while I thought...Uh oh...kinda more like the Scooby Doo...Errrr
Ohhhh), looked back at me and slowly turned away and ambled back into the cover
of the woods. He kept stopping every few steps and looking back over his
shoulder to see if I was still standing there (like my feet were actually gonna
move....heck, I think they were frozen in time) and finally, the neighbor stuck
her head out to shout at her dogs for barking so much and I yelled at her to
take the dogs inside (they were chihuahuas) because the Bear was out in her
back yard now.

Long story short....that experience was only one of the many more I've had that
have taken my breath away as I watch them file, one by one, out of cover at the
creek, babies first and then of course, mom, and run across the street in front
of traffic and even the time a big male bear with a large scratch across his
whole side ambled slowly across in front of me...he was as big as my car...and
then stopped to sit and look at me. We stared at one another. Then he lay down
on the side of the road and continued to stare. Finally I broke the suspense
and began to move slowly forward in my car and he sat up, stood up and
meandered on into the woods.

Do they go around barking dogs? Yes, Do they bother the horses? Yes. The horses
smell them a good distance away and if you are lucky enough to be on your own
two feet...you are ahead of the game. Otherwise, once the scent drifts and
alights upon the nostrils of your horse as you are riding, the horse rears,
squeals and politely dumps you, his passenger with a much less tuned sense of
smell and wisdom to know better the warning signs before the front hooves leave
the ground in the first place, become airborne and once the dust settles, you
stare at your horse which has become a blur in the distance and wonder how and
in what direction you will be heading back to the house !

I've even ridden up to a pine tree, down wind of course or I wouldn't be here
to type this, and seeing the trees moving, I stopped and realized the red brown
leaves in front of me were quickly beginning to appear to resemble a bear, its
hide now reddened by the sunburn of the summer sun, blending into the
environment and rubbing its shedding fur off on the tree bark. And yes, just in
case you may be wondering, I turned my horse and headed on home....at as fast a
pace as I could safely manage.

They are beautiful and it is a shame our civilized world is quickly pushing
them back to evolve our concrete existence. But the bears are managing to move
back as well and then to venture out on their own to explore the new
surroundings and each of them makes their own headway...some
trepidatiously...some aggressively...some just plain taking it in their stride.
Unfortunately, they learn quickly to associate the smells of the human, the
dogs and the sights as a signal to locate food and their fear of humans/dogs
disappears.

Debbie

"The pain in our lives is no more than a crack in the shell trying to get
through to our understanding."

   #1: From: Jessica Keene <jkeene2005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
       Subject: Re: new updated website
   #2: From: Ken Tank <tanksr@xxxxxxxxx>
       Subject: Vets in Virginnie
   #3: From: "Lisa Carroll" <tacoragsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
       Subject: escape artist HELP
   #4: From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
       Subject: Re: escape artist HELP
   #5: From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
   #6: From: "glenwood" <glenwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
       Subject: movie of puppies
   #7: From: Werner Sommers <wernersommers@xxxxxxxxx>
   #8: From: Iza Kabuska-Ackerman <izakabuska@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
       Subject: a little off-topic, but very exciting !
Msg: #1 in digest
rom: Jessica Keene <jkeene2005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
ubject: Re: new updated website
ate: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 19:22:01 -0500
Take this to PRIVATE please. NOBODY wants to listen to this argument. Thank you.
  Jessica Keene
ttp://www.gsdjunior.webs.com
ttp://www.jkphotographyandads.webs.com

 From: pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 To: lockefam1@xxxxxxxxxxx; showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: new updated website
 Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:51:15 -0400

 First of all Katie your info is VERY wrong. I have NEVER said anything about
ou and fred so YOU may want to get your facts straight! So if anyone is looking
ike a BIGGER ass its YOU! So if YOU would like to continue on then so be it YOU
re the one who is contacting ME and harassing ME so bring it on! And as for how
any litters I have had it is NONE of YOUR business. You have felt the need to
arass me to no end because I have had a back to back litter. Is it aginst the
aw to have a back to back? I am pretty sure YOU have had one! I removed you
rom my facebook because I thought you were a RUDE person so now do not contact
e here either!!
 Rebecca Little
 Peakes Brook German Shepherds
 http://www.peakesbrookshepherds.net/