  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:14:37 EDT

Msg: #5 in digest
From: TamarinGSD@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:42:09 EDT
Subject: Re: Heart attack??

Possibly he had gone into an anaphylactic shock. An allergic reaction to a
bee sting, for example.

Erika &the Tamarin GSDs

In a message dated 4/19/07 12:33:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mcmuse@xxxxxxx writes:
A friend of mine has a two year old rescue GSD that they think might have
had a heart attack. Anyone with experience in this area for dogs?

The dog was playing outside as usual. When she let him in he walked around
for a little bit, then threw up. She called him to her and as he was
walking over his body became rigid and he fell over/passed out. He was
breathing fine but his heart rate was very slow and he was not conscious.
She picked him up (which amazes me as she weighs the same 105 pounds that he
does) and took him to the vet. By the time she got him to the vet he was
behaving normally.

Weird. I really feel for this young lady. This is the third GSD she has
rescued in less than two years and now they have all had serious health
problems. The first two have both passed away. All of this has been in
less than two years. I think she is becoming discouraged with our wonderful
breed.

Hallie

 HALLIE:

    PLEASE, TELL  HER TO HAVE HER VET CHECK THE DOG'S  THYROID  FUNCTION AND
CALCIUM LEVEL AS WELL...A SEIZURE IT MAY RESULT FROM A PHYSICAL
MAL-FUNCTION...
    BUT  IT SOUNDS LIKE
PARTIAL  EPILEPTIC SEIZURES , WHICH SIMPLY MEANS THE  AFFECTED   DOG (OR
HUMAN)  DOESN'T LOSE  CONCIOUSNESS...
  HOWEVER , EVEN WITH PARTIAL SEIZURES, THE PART OF THE BRAIN THAT IS
AFFECTED CAN SPREAD THAT SIGNAL  LIKE A BONFIRE, AT ANYTIME  AND CAUSE A
COMPLETE
GRAND MAL SEIZURE., SO MEDICATION IS USUALLY REQUIRED MORE AS HOPEFULLY A
PREVENTATIVE AGAINEST  THE DOG HAVING A GRAND MAL..
  SOME OF THE OLD MEDICATIONS JUST KEPT THE DOG DRUGGED AND WERE NOT AN IDEAL
WAY TO CONTROL SEIZURES.
HOWEVER, I KNOW  THERE HAS BEEN LOTS OF  EPILEPSY RESEARCH  ON DOGS AND  NEW
AND BETTER MEDICATIONS MAY BE AVAILABLE..
THE DIFFICULT PART IS  TO GET A   POSITIVE  DIAGNOSIS.
IN HUMANS IT IS  ACCOMPLISHED  BY A HISTORY AND AN  EEG.

  HE MAY NEVER HAVE ANOTHER SEIZURE,AND  ON THE OTHER HAND, HE MAY HAVE  A
CLUSTER OF THEM.. I SURE HOPE FOR HER SAKE AND THE DOG THAT HE WILL HAVE SOME
PHYSICAL  CONDITION THAT CAN BE TREATED THAT IS CAUSING IT..SOMETIMES A SERIOUS
HEAD INJURY, SUCH AS BRAIN CONCUSSION OR OTHER INSULT TO THE BRAIN  CAN CAUSE
THEM..OR A VIRAL INFECTION OF THE BRAIN..
  EPILEPSY  IS OFTEN  OF GENETIC ORIGIN AND TENDS TO RUN IN FAMILIES...HOPE
THIS HELPS..PLEASE KEEP US POSTED....BARB WILLIAMS