  • From: Louise Cauthen <cauthenl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, myjoygs@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:26:39 -0700 (PDT)

I totally agree with "MyJoyGS" -
  During my early days with this bloodline [it was 1982] my foundation bitch,
Olga, had a litter of pups and when anyone came to look at them, we all went
into the den and the puppies would all run free all over the place [not today
;-)].   I would talk to the perspective puppy purchasers and try to answer all
their question, tell all the instructions for the care and raising of GSDs,
etc.    I will never forget how I learned the lesson of "No Free Ranging
Children" loose in the house when the puppies [or dogs] are loose - especially
strangers and their toddlers.

  As I was talking to these nice people, I lost track of where their baby
was.[The child was about 2 1/2-YO]   I made the mistake of trusting the Mother
to watch her child.   I had my back to Olga who had retired into the wire crate
probably to escape the huge puppies who were just at "That" stage where they
drive the Dam insane.

  For some reason, my attention was drawn to the Mother who had a huge smile on
her face - her gaze was looking at something behind me.... I turned and to my
absolute horror - the baby had walked INTO the crate, had seized Olga by the
side of her face and as I squatted on the floor, totally unable to breathe or
jump, the child preceded to pull her out of the crate by the side of her face.

  Olga dutifully came out [she had been lying down], distorted expression and
all, wagging her tail gently.

  I can tell you I aged 20 years in that moment - not to worry - [I nearly
died] Olga was perfect.   I learned a valuable lesson that day - never again
were parents allowed to bring small children for the first visit!     Family
introductions were scheduled for after the selection process had occurred.
  IMO Sound temperament dogs will BE sound.    She did pass this trait on down.
  For which I am grateful.
  Louise

    showgsd-l Digest Wed, 28 Mar 2007 Volume: 04 Issue: 1505
In This Issue:
#1: From: myjoygs@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 3 year old child bitten by dog
  *************************************
Msg: #1 in digest
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:03:33 -0400
From: myjoygs@xxxxxxx

My granddaughter was bit in the face by a dog when she was 18 months old at the
babysitters by their husky. The dog should not have been around the child as
the owner knew it has some temperment problems. but her quote "he was doing so
much better". The dog was laying on the floor by the sliding glass doors, my
granddaughter was standing at the sliding glass door and the next thing, the
dog had her face. It was sickening to see her face afterwards, that dog had its
teeth in her from the bridge of the nose to the chin. Thankfully it wasn't any
worse then it was and thanks to a good surgeon, you would barely know it
happened, she will probably need another surgery for a scar at the bridge of
her nose. It was horrific to see her. Thankfully it was at a young age and she
doesn't have any fear of dogs and actually loves them.

Now for the part of the kid hitting the dog, while it is the responsibility of
the parents to teach their children how to treat dogs and it is the
responsibility of the person watching the child, things to happen, one of my
dogs was around a group of us and we were all talking and my 2 year old nephew
was around, I heard the dog whimper and looked and my nephew had his finger in
her eye, she did not snap, bite or do anything to that child and I quickly
rescued her. The point being if the dog is totally sound it will not harm a
child, that is what I believe and I am sticking to it. If you are not sure of
the an animals soundness around children then it should not be around them
period or if its me and a child approches one of my dogs and I am not a 100%,
sure my hand is right there by the muzzle while they pat them.

Just my point of view