  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:27:24 -0800

On 3/7/07, almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> .
> Now thats not being afraid it's having a mutual respect for what could
> happen. These dogs are protective by nature and judges have no clue when
> that character is going to come out or when one is not wrapped too tight.
> And fair is fair no judge should have a weird or threatening or stalking
> approach .............that is just wrong!
> Amy Safdir
> Almanya Shepherds
> www.almanyagsd.com

You are right on track there.   I cannot imagine having or ALLOWING a
stranger at a park to walk up to my dog on an eight foot draped lead,
regardless of how "safe" I know him/her to be.  Sometimes dogs will see
oddness in a person that we don't see and it could trigger an unexpected
response.
Sometimes, I think judges don't mean to stalk, lets face it we have seen
some judges, Bless their Hearts, that may have issues with mobility or
stiffness or soreness, and sometimes, dogs w/o discernment will react it.
Particularly the babies, who don't understand that this stranger, who may
move in a stilted or bent over way , really isn't the boogeyman.

I think some judges too forget that strong eye contact, can be seen as a
challenge to a dog.  Esp as intuitive as GSDS can be...esp if owner
handled.  I am not talking about fear biters or spooks, but about GSDs that
will stand their ground an protect their person in the face of what looks
like a challenge.  This is a good dog, but could be misinterpreted by a
judge that is expecting or desiring something like a Golden Retvr. type
attitude.  I think some   (SOME) judges need to re evaluate their approach
before automatically penalizing a puppy or a tough, but solid GSD.

Kathy Tank