  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:59:58 EST

In a message dated 3/6/2007 3:47:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
I respectfully disagree. It is not judging by a personal standard...it is
judging by the Standard. Like all standards, there is a certain amount of
leeway
allowed the judge...if two things are serious faults, it is up to the judge
which one he or she cares to penalize more heavily.
If everyone judged exactly the same, every dog on earth would only have to go
to one show, and there would be no need for competition...the only
judge to ever judge that dog would have rendered a decision and that would be
it.
Unless, of course, there is more than one perfect dog in the ring...and then
what would you do? You'd go with your personal preference, or you'd be
there all day, well into the night.

So long as a judge adheres to the Standard, there is still room for personal
preference....there has to be. Otherwise, as I said already, we would all
know who the best dog is...without argument. As it is, there is a need for
dog shows where the dogs compete for someone's opinion...and that someone's
interpretation of the written standard. :-)
Peggy

Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx wrote:

> PEGGY;  I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, BUT THAT KIND OF 'FORGIVING' IS
> WHAT I CALL   'PERSONAL STANDARD JUDGING.'.. AT THE EXCLUSION OF THE
> DICTATES OF
> THE BREED STANDARD..
>
> I BELIEVE,   THAT IS WHAT HAS GOTTEN OUR BREED  IN  TROUBLE,   WITH SOME OF
> THE PROBLEMS OF TODAY.
>
>  .I RECALL AN ASSIGNMENT I ONCE JUDGED WHERE ALMOST THE EXACT SAME THING
> HAPPENED... I HAD A BEAUTIFUL, STRONG  MALE WITH SOUND OVER-ALL STRUCTURE
> AND
> EXCELLENT TYPE..HE MOVED WELL AND VERY CLEAN COMING AND GOING AND EXHIBITED
> A GOOD
> SIDE-GAIT., IN THE FRONT... . THEN, HERE COMES,   INTO THE RING , A
> HANDSOME, BEAUTIFUL MALE, JUST EXACTLY  'MY KIND OF BOY'.... I LOVED
> HIM!!!!!!!
> ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM WAS  PERSONALLY, EXACTLY WHAT I MOST ADMIRE...
> BUT WHEN  HE WENT AWAY FROM ME, HE WAS WEAK ON THE RIGHT REAR LEG AND  THE
> HOCK
> GAVE  A BIT IN MOTION... FROM THE SIDE. WHEN HE STOPPED AND  STOOD
> FOUR-SQUARE I PUT MY HAND ON HIS  PELVIS AND WITH JUST A LITTLE PRESSURE,
> FELT HIM GIVE
> UNDER MY HAND ON THAT SIDE... THE  OTHER MALE , IN THE SAME POSITION STOOD
> FIRM AND STRONG UNDER MY HAND... I SENT THEM AROUND AGAIN, AND THOUGH IN MY
> HEART
>  I  WANTED TO GIVE THE BIG WIN TO THE ONE I SO  PERSONALLY ADMIRED AND
> FAVORED,  ...I TOLD MYSELF, I AM HERE TO JUDGE THESE DOGS BY THE BREED
> STANDARD AND
> THAT IS MY JOB.   SO I PLACED  'MY BOY' SECOND, ALTHOUGH  IT WAS ONE OF THE
> HARDEST DECISIONS I'VE EVER FACED..
>
>  UNTIL THEY CHANGE THE STANDARD FOR THIS BREED AND EXCUSE SUCH A  SERIOUS
> FAULT, THEN WE DARE NOT PLAY FAST AND LOOSE WITH IT...JMO BARB WILLIAMS

   PEGGY:   AS I SAID, I APPRECIATE YOUR OPINION AND I HAVE JUST EXPRESSED
MINE..
 I GUESS EVERYONE WHO BREEDS AND JUDGES DOGS OF ANY BREED, HAS DIFFERENT
OPINIONS AND IDEAS...I RESPECT THAT. AND I AM MERELY STATING  MY OWN... I HAVE
BEEN  BLEST AND PRIVILEGED TO HAVE JUDGED SOME MAGNFICENT ONES  ...

JUDGING  GERMAN SHEPHERDS, IS , TO ME, A SACRED RESPONSIBILITY...

   I WILL ADMIT  ALTHOUGH I HAVE JUDGED MANY MATCHES OF OTHER BREEDS AND
LOVE THEM ALL, AND ENJOY AND FIND IT 'FUN ' TO JUDGE THEM AND DO MY VERY
BEST...

 THERE SIMPLY ISN'T ANY OTHER BREED THAT GRABS ME BY THE HEART  LIKE GERMAN
SHEPHERDS...AND  MAKES EACH  JUDGING DECISION A SOUL-SEARCHING ONE..BECAUSE IT
IS SO DAMN IMPORTANT TO THE ENTIRE BREED, THAT EACH JUDGE,  DOES IT
RIGHT!!!!!!! BARB WILLIAMS