  • From: DeBruts@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 02:22:08 EDT

Why a champion?
This is a thread that I couldn't resist picking up on
What is a Champion anyway?
A breed champion is a dog or bitch that several breed judges have given their
opinion on and judged them to be worthy of becoming a Champion. they have the
proper structure, hopefully the proper temperament, and in that judges
opinion  they conform to the standard f the breed, and on any given day this
judge
deems them to be the best in his or her ring. On the other hand a Performance
Champion is a dog that his owner has formed a very special personal bond and
relationship with, these two, dog and person, have become a team they have
spent
many hours of training to become the very best. They have entered
competitions as a team and have proven them selves to be the best, not in a
judges
opinion but by working together as a team earning the right to be awarded the
top
scores, time after time earning not just 15 points but hundreds of points
depending on what area of performance they are working in. It has nothing to do
with
an opinion as to whether you are the best, you must prove by the quality of
your performance  that you are indeed the best.
You don't hire a handler to do this for you it is an accomplishment that you
can be proud of for yourself, something that you and your dog have worked for
and achieved. This is not a title given to you by the opinion of a judge but
by earning the title of Champion based on proving your ability time after time
and being the best in the ring.
I have finished Performance Champions that were also Breed Champions,  dogs
that I have trained handled and shown in both rings and I can tell you that I
am very proud of the fact that the judges considered my dogs worthy of a Breed
Championship but the pride that I have in the Performance Championship is far
greater because I know we "MY DOG AND I" earned every point it wasn't just
someone's opinion.
Lori Nickeson:  Proud Owner /Breeder /Trainer and Handler in all rings of
Ch. OTCH DeBrut's Butch Cassiday UD, TDX
Ch, OTCH DeBrut's Moonshadow UDX, AX,AXJ.HT.RN
Ch. DeBrut's Different Drummer UDX NA
Ch. DeBrut's The Shadow Knows CDX,RA