  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 13:23:16 EDT

Msg: #1 in digest
From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: failing clubs
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:33:06 -0400

When the Mentoring Committee was developed the purpose was to give Specialty
Clubs ideas and then guidelines to execute those ideas. The guidelines were
basic steps to retain current members &,importantly, how to bring in new
members
and KEEP THEM. To this end, 99 letters were sent to Regional Corresponding
Secretaries, the letters were followed up by personal phone calls from
committee
members from all over the country. Included in the letter were proven methods
for stimulating the membership and offering a 12 step introductory program
that was very simple yet effective. There was also a well developed Survey that
would give clubs vital information as to what members wanted from the Clubs,
why they had joined, and how the clubs could meet their expectations and keep
them "interested" .( I will be happy to send the instructions, letter and
survey to anyone who would like to see them).
Sadly, clubs did not even attempt to apply the techniques that were sent, but
worse, many of the "mentors" were treated with rudeness when they made the
follow up calls.
As for the Futurity/Maturity System,there are changes coming down the pike,
and these changes will be dramatic, some will not like them, but we think the
breeders and exhibitors will. (Of course subject to Board Approval).

I am wondering how we have failed,along the way, to mentor newcomers in such
a way that they become truly dedicated to improving the breed - that they
learn how to study pedigrees, genetics, structure, and that each and every
breeding is carefully planned with deep consideration how any one breeding will
effect future breedings and not a "let's see what big winner I can get by
trying
this or trying that" Somehow our education has fallen short. Unless we focus on
education in a big way we will not satisfy our newcomers. Or are we in an era
where instant gratification is rampart and the true sense of "husbandry" is
outdated, and no one wants to learn and listen? What group will carry our breed
forward as the breeders of 40 &50 years are no longer with us? Hopefully, the
PC Board, with a new Strategic Planning Committee, concentrated education, a
new Futurity System, Raleef Committee etc. there will be a"shot in the arm" for
our breed.
Send in your suggestions - they WILL be welcomed.
Nancy Harper

------------------------------

  Nancy and All:   My opinion is unpopular but I'm going to say it
AGAIN...anyway... The Original way the Futurities were set up worked for all of
us for
a loong time.
Then came the idea to send the Winners to the National..ROM PTS. Awarded,
etc. . and it all went downhill from there.. I have said this till I am blue in
the face and no one listens and if they do, they dismiss it...BUT..
if and until you only allow dogs to be exhibited in the area in which they
reside, you are never going to get it 'fixed'.... Too much emphasis was put on
winning so  the winners could go to the National. That ruined the entire thing
when they allowed that and the Handlers to fly about the country exhibiting
where they thought their dogs could win under  Judges they knew favored
whatever they brought to them...

   It destroyed the Pure and Beautiful Intent  of the  Futurities..I said it
years ago, when they began  fooling around with the changes,  that is was
going to result in the deterioration of  the purpose and intent of the
Futurities,
which was intended to be a showcase for  the
breeders in the various parts of the country to see what their fellow
breeders were producing...

  These progeny were not limited to LOCAL dogs, many progeny  were sired by
East Coast dogs combined with the West Coast bloodlines when I started.,..

    I said it before and once again, we had entered all  12 of the Ch. Harry
Vom Donaukai ROM  ex Ch. Von Schrief's Portrait ROM litter... They were all
shown... That is one example of what I  am saying...We knew they were not all
Top Winners...They were exhibited so breeders could see the faults as well as
the virtues of what such a breeding produced. The uniformity or lack of
it..Conformation Characteristics good and bad... My fellow breeders did the
same.. We
had a living picture to watch and observe on what a breeding produced
OVER-ALL..NOT just ONE WINNER...That was the purpose.

  Then it was so twisted and distorted by those who wanted to GO to the
NATIONAL with the Futruity/Maturity Winners,   that they devised ways Around
the
Intent of the Futurity and destroyed it to satisfy the National Win Fever...
When a West Coast Bred Shepherd was competing againest Shepherds from all other

parts of the Country, everyone rooted for their Hometown Heroes and
Heroines..There was a great  competition , and then they allowed Shepherds to
be flown
about and exhibited all over, and the  East Coast  Bred Shepherds . flew out
and won and not always fairly under some of the Judges,,,  and then they
Represented  the Pacific Coast Futurities, etc.. we became  involved in a big
steam=roller of competition, and  we all  lost The Pride and Purpose of Our
Hometown Kids winning..  Morale dropped and interest dropped and people dropped
away
from the one Educational Tool we had to offer  the New and Old, Our
Futurities!!!  I say we start all over again with the original way they were
run and
devised, and see if that works... JMO Barb Williams