  • From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:50:23 -0400

So what do you guys think the difference is? Were there more owner/handlers?
Were the dogs judged at a slower pace or maybe looked at for a longer time??
Was there a difference in how newcomers were welcomed? A lot of us only know
how it is today. A handler driven breed and your not encouraged to handle?your
own dog. But, I see a huge change in how newcomers are treated today versus 7-8
yrs ago when I first approached a ring,no one spoke to me let alone?said
welcome. I went to?probably 9 shows before I got a slight smile back at
me.??People at the ring are much nicer now, maybe all we need is patience and
perseverance. I have a friend who shows Irish Wolfhounds and she is also a
judge. She tells me she sees a generally friendlier attitude toward people at
or around?the Shepherd ring, more laughing, less scowling. And what I thought
was interesting is that she says she hears people talking about how much nicer
the shepherds look and act. I know it is expensive to show but I al
 so have friends in different breeds who don't spend quite as much because they
owner/handle, they back up other friends who need help?taking or getting dogs
to the ring?and no one charges anyone. I don't know if there is an answer.
Maybe Bonnie is right, we need to reach out to other breeds, let them see the
benefit of owning/showing a "real" dog(VBG). I would love to go to the ring and
see classes of 20 or more in the ring whether it be specialty or AB, what a
site that must have been!!
Pam

Hello everyone,

??? I think we might have better luck getting? exhibitors from other breeds
to try showing a GSD then to get non dog? person hooked on our sport. It's hard
to talk to interested outsiders and? try to justify the $$$ it takes to do
well in conformation, especially in? these tough economic times. Dog show
people

from the other breeds? however are already spending the money & taking time
off work to travel,? they come prehooked <VBG>.? I know of one working? breed
person who recently started attending our specialty? shows and this person says
our show weekends have been so much fun that? "regular dog shows" seem boring
now LOL. Maybe we should each befriend a? non GSD dog show person and try to
convert them?? = )
??
Just a thought,
Bonnie
BonJen Shepherds
www.BonJen.com

From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2009 pt schedule
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:46:51 -0400

There were 52 bitches between open and am bred when I finished out first
bitch .  What can be all do to bolster interest?
Nancy