  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:48:36 -0500

Barbara,
Thanks for including my name.  I would like to 2nd Barb Williams suggestion.
Dawn and her endless work make a difference.
Sending thoughts and prayers Evan's way and also to the great Annie Clark.
One of a kind.

Nancy Harper
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:45:16 -0500
From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: German Shepherd Person of the Year!

Hi everyone. I thought I'd run this by you. I want to do something
similar to what Barbara Walters does on one of her television shows.
She does a special where they pick the 10 most influential people of the
year starting with # 10 and working her way up to the #1 most
influential person. I thought it might be fun to do that with our most
diverse group of people on this List. Now it doesn't have to be the top
breeder of champions. It can be anyone you think deserves recognition
for outstanding service to the GS Dog. Not to make it complicated, I
decided to ask for just 5 peoples names and the reason you're voting for
them. If you want to do more, than go right ahead. They don't have to
be in any particular order. I'll tally up the votes. Oh yeah, and
because it's the holidays and keeping in the spirit of giving, I will
donate $25 to any animal rescue, shelter, etc. that the winner so
chooses paid through PayPal to that shelter or rescue. So please put
your thinking cap on and lets see who will be crowned our person of the
year and while you're doing this, know that it's for a good cause.
Thanks folks. Happy Holidays, Barbara Galasso My List follows:

DAWN RESTUCCIA: Dawn gives unselfishly of her time to rescue efforts.
She spends ungodly hours working to try to save the unwanted and
forgotten about dogs. She posts several times a week on many GS Lists
and many times gets much "grief" from some people, but still she pushes
on. Many an animal owes their life to her.
SUSAN CASEY: Susan is our new editor of the GSD Review, but ask her how
she got there, and she probably wonders herself. Susan has had to take
a lot of abuse while she was applying for this position. But she acted
like a lady through it all, and never defended herself. She's proven
herself worthy of the position by the excellent quality of her work.
BARBARA WILLIAMS: Class, teacher, writer, lover of the breed are just a
few superlatives I can write about this lady. Barbara writes such
beautiful and educational pieces for the GSD Review as well at the GSD
Quarterly. She's the head of our health and genetics committee. Ask
her a question pertaining to this, and she'll get you an answer. She's
a woman who truly cares about our breed and the people who love it.
Although she has been "under the weather" this year after her operation,
she's never too tired to talk to you or answer one of your e-mails.
Truly a great lady of the breed. And did I say "Class?"
EVAN GINSBURG: Evan comes on the List practically every day with his
sometimes "outlandish" wit. He always has such a positive attitude. I
rarely (if ever) can remember him saying anything negative. He always
answers all of your e-mails. How unselfish of him to do the blog from
the National every year for those of us who can't make it to enjoy.
Also many times he sends us the results from other dog shows that he
attends throughout the year. Our prayers go out to him for a sucessful
operation and recovery.
NANCY HARPER: Nancy has a true love of the breed and wants to better
our club for the "newbies" as well as the "oldsters!" She worked
tirelessly to improve the futurity system so that all people could enjoy
it. She realized that many people couldn't afford to hire professional
handlers for the futurities. We spoke and she listened. Starting this
year, everyone has a choice.....show with a handler or show where
handlers can't. She also worked diligently on the mentor program for
the new people in the breed.

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS
Visit my website at http://chieftainsgermanshepherds.com

  BARBARA:

     FIRST OF ALL,  I AM  MORE THAN HONORED AND HUMBLED TO EVEN BE  ON SUCH
LIST..
 .I AM  CERTAINLY NOT AS DESERVING AS SOME OF THE OTHERS, ESPECIALLY, DAWN
RESTUCCIA..
  SHE IS QUITE AMAZING IN HER DEVOTION AND DEDICATION..SHE HAS SOME OF THE
MOST INNOVATIVE AND WORKABLE SOLUTIONS FOR THIS SAD AND TERRIBLE GSD RESCUE
PROBLEM..SO, . I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HER WIN THIS AND HAVE A VOICE TO EXPRESS
HER
EXPERIENCES AND WELL-THOUGHT OUT PLANS AND IDEAS FOR THE BENEFIT  OF ALL THE
GERMAN SHEPHERDS  WHO END UP IN THESE 'SO-CALLED' SHELTERS...
WE ALL HAVE TO REALIZE, 'THAT THERE, BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD, WAITS  ONE OF
MINE!!!'
   IT COULD HAPPEN TO SOME  OF THE ONES WE SELL...VERY EASILY...
 I WORKED AS THE  LIASON FOR THE HAWAIIAN HUMANE SOCIETY , WHEN I WAS
PRESIDENT OF THE GSDCA OF HAWAII, AND IT WAS  A REAL EYE-OPENER, AS TO HOW
MANY
PURE-BREDS, INCLUDING GS, ENDED UP IN THAT POSITION... WHEN  SOME PEOPLE
LEAVE THE
ISLANDS, SOME  MAY  JUST  LEAVE THEIR DOGS BEHIND..AS TOO MUCH TROUBLE...

WHEN WE CAME BACK TO THE MAINLAND,TO CARE FOR MY MOTHER, WHO WAS ILL...WE
BROUGHT OUR 4 DOGS BACK WITH US...ON THE PLANE.,
..I WAS A NERVOUS WRECK, TRYING TO GET IT ALL HANDLED AND DOGS SAFELY ON
BOARD AND ARRANGING FOR  OUR SON TO MEET US  AT THE AIRPORT , LATE AT
NIGHT...WITH
A LARGE  VAN FOR THE DOGS AND A TRAILER FOR OUR LUGGAGE , ETC. ETC.. AND IF
IT HADN'T OF BEEN FOR THE KINDNESS AND LOVE AND ALOHA OF PAT AND
ESPECIALLY,
AUPUNI AYERS..WHO GOT US ALL TO THE AIRPORT AND GOT ALL THE PAPERWORK
HANDLED,
AND A LOT OF WARM , COMFORTING HUGS.I WOULDN'T HAVE MADE IT, IN AS GOOD
SHAPE
AS I DID... ...SO MANY THINGS CAN HAPPEN THAT ARE UNEXPECTED...
SO MY VOTE GOES FOR DAWN!!!
BARBARA WILLIAMS