  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:05:57 EST

In a message dated 12/9/2006 9:43:46 AM Pacific Standard Time, Showgsd-
------------------------------
Msg: #4 in digest
From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Handlers handle Cartels
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 09:37:09 -0800

Ann &Christine have just touched the tip of the iceberg........<G>
We have watched this go on over the years, more so now as many dogs don't
even live with the
owners. The handlers making the decisions for bitch owners by pushing the
stud they are
promoting......and then they have progeny to handle into the next generation,
owner has many
Champions and we have yet another Cartel bloodline........ <G>

It can "appear" successful on paper because the handler takes the progeny and
finishes almost
all of them......keeps the handler busy with show prospects...... and owners
with Champions.
The problem of course is how much real good is this doing the Breed?
Maybe some...maybe none..........?
Stud gets more breedings, progeny get more show homes, progeny get more
Championships
handler has more clients and everybody is very very happy.......for a couple
of generations....<G>
I guess it works for most......but where is the sincere knowledge and
planning coming in for the
real improvement of the Breed and the lines........where is the need to
learn?
What if stud is producing missing teeth, or ring tails or bad backs or
several health issues or
real problems with the rear and in need of constant chiropractic care and
then we paint ourself
into a corner with no where to go without proliferating the problems?
But hey.......who cares.....we have an ROM in 10 litters and multiple
Champion litters. <G>
Handler has his clients buy the pups .....Handler just goes to the same
judges that gives them
an "edge"....and WALLA 15 pts....quick ROM on both sides.....everybody is
happy...La la la la la

Not a problem .....IF it is the right stud for the right bitch.....but EVERY
CLIENT.... EVERY BITCH???

In time, will we really have "Breeders" .......or just clients with handlers
and 'go to' judges........??
JMO
Carolyn .marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com
From: hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am in TOTAL agreement with Ann on this one.Most( anymore) don't pick their
own dogs..handlers
push the dog they are handling and have in residence..they get a portion of
the stud fee..in nearly
all cases, so it is a double whammy..the get board money..plus stud fee
money. I absolutely have
no problem with getting a cut of the money, as managing a bitch is hard work(
despite the fact that
one time we were told that "stud dog owners just sit back and collect the
money..this person
NEVER managed a high profile stud dog!!)..nor do I have a problem with a
handler promoting
a dog..he should, that is part of what he is getting paid for!..HOWEVER. the
breeder SHOULD
be able to discern if the dog is right for the bitch or not..despite what the
handler might say.
Over the years I have had access to different dogs in residence with our
handler, but that never
affected my breeding choices. some went on to have great show careers. Wasn't
that I didn't
like the dogs "on the hoof" but just felt they weren't compatible with our
breeding program,
I don't pick my dogs on 'critiques, either. Most critiques are benign..very
generalized and generic.
Christine

>From: ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>I think many people make their breeding decisions on whoever their
handler is standing or pushing at the time., whether it is a good breeding
for their bitch or not. JMO. Ann

  I HAVE AN ARTICLE COMING OUT IN THE GSD  QUARTERLY, WINTER ISSUE YOU MIGHT
ENJOY READING... AS IT FULLY AGREES WITH YOUR POSTS.. TITLED  ''THE INFLUENCE
OF PRO HANDLERS ON THE  GS BREED.'
 IT ADDRESSES THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR OF PROMOTING A STUD DOG OR TWO , AND
THAT  IS " THE  CONTROLLING OF  THE GENE POOL"..JMO BARB WILLIAMS