  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 14:18:51 EST

In a message dated 11/6/2006 6:00:30 PM Pacific Standard Time, Showgsd-
Msg: #1 in digest
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:08:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SO MANY Questions....so little time.
The same can be said of the bloat issue. No one is sure why it happens, where
it comes from, but many are certain that genetics plays a role, yet so many
dogs die from it and we never learn that was what happened.

I knew it was an issue with Liddy's lines, Seger was one of 3 from his
litter, there I said it. But how many times was Black Ice used after Seger
finished?
I did not say that!

I bred Liddy as far from her own lines as I could. I hope it was the right
decision, but I cannot be sure until they die of old age, now can I?

My darling Dexter's sire, Ch Asgard's TNT of Covy Tucker Hill bloated at 6
1/2, can we call that age related bloat? Mom's CTH dog, an R-Man son, or is it
grandson, I don't remember, bloated at 7, that had to be age related. He is now
8 and just fine, she caught it as it started and saved him.

But is there a genetic connection? Who can say, yet!
sheila
DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 11/6/2006 4:53:58 PM Pacific Standard Time, Lacy340
writes:
They keep on breeding the same dogs and still get the Mega. Doesn't make
sense to me.

I agree that we have to be open but with that said. The bitch I bred had 2
in her first litter, something I just hated I did however breed her again and

no ME.... Like Carolyn said, we just do not really know exactly how this
comes up. I will say if I had some in the second litter I don't think I would

have bred her again... I did so we will see...
Deb

SHEILA :

 I BELIEVE...  IT'S ALL GENETICS... BLOAT/TORSION GASTRIC, IS, I BELIEVE
INHERITED AND PASSED ON DOWN AS A 'DOMINANT WITH LIMITED
EXPRESSTIVITY"...WHICH
MEANS THAT: "YOU CAN HAVE A DOG OR BITCH ,WHO THEMSELVES NEVER  BLOAT, BUT
DOMINATELY PASS IT ON... AS WELL AS ONE'S WHO BLOAT AND PASS IT DOWN."
. IT IS THE 'LIMITED EXPRESSTIVITY' THAT SOMETIMES CONFUSES US...
PLEASE,  THINK OF IT AS A 'MASKING  GENE' THAT  KEEPS THE  BLOAT FROM
EXPRESSING ITSELF IN A HOST WHO IS , IN REALITY, A DOMINANT  PRODUCER, FOR
BLOAT..
THEY PASS THE DOMINANT GENE ON BUT NOT ALWAYS WITH THE MASKING GENE  TO
SUPPRESS THE DISEASE FROM EXPRESSING ITSELF IN THEM.

I BELIEVE THAT  MESENTERIC/TORSION IS ALSO   GENETIC..BUT THE UNDERLYING
CAUSE MAY BE THE INHERITED PAA/EPI FACTOR..

  I ALWAYS HOPE THAT WE CAN GET  SOME TRULY QUALIFIED     VET RESEARCHERS TO
STUDY THESE TERRIBLE AND HEARTBREAKING  DISEASES , WITH THE FOCUS ON THE
GENETIC ASPECT AND LOOK FOR THE DNA MARKERS..FOR  GASTRIC AND MESENTERIC
.BLOAT/TORSION... THAT OFTEN  TAKES SO MANY OF OUR BEST, MOST BEAUTIFUL ONES SO
YOUNG... THEN WAITS, , AS A DEADLY SNAKE,   TO CLAIM THE  ONES WHO ARE GETTING
OLD,
AND TAKE THEM FROM US  JUST WHEN WE SHOULD BE ENJOYING THEIR GOLDEN YEARS WITH
THEM...

 I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING GS  BLOAT/TORSION PEDIGREES FOR YEARS AND I AM
CONVINCED IT IS ALL  GENETICS..
ONE LAST THING:   NEVER OVERLOOK AN ENLARGED SPLEEN... AS  NORMAL... IT CAN
OFTEN BE THE FIRST SIGNAL TO  ALERT TO AN IMPENDING MESENTERIC TORSION AND
POSSIBLY GASTRIC TOO...JMO BARB WILLIAMS