  • From: "Diane Brantley" <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 01:36:18 +0000

You forgot about ms. Bobbit. Diane

----------

------Original Message------
From: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "showgsd-l digest users" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, Nov 15, 2009 08:17 PM
Subject: showgsd-l Digest V3 #2749

showgsd-l Digest        Sun, 15 Nov 2009        Volume: 03  Issue: 2749

In This Issue:
        #1:     From: CDRHVN@xxxxxxx
                Subject: Re: tail chasing puppy
        #2:     From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
                Subject: Behaviou
        #3:     From: "gail rutter" <ruttergsd@xxxxxxxxxx>
                Subject: TICK BORN ILLNESSES
        #4:     From: falkrigia@xxxxxxx
                Subject: New Champion at Falkrigia
        #5:     From: "Tom Elkins" <firethorntemplete@xxxxxxxxx>
        #6:     From: "R. Steiner" <mobilegrmr@xxxxxxxxx>
                Subject: Re: TICK BORN ILLNESSES
        #7:     From: Joan Fox <campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
                Subject: Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] New Champion at Falkrigia
        #8:     From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
                Subject: problems with my post
        #9:     From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
        #10:    From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
                Subject: Dogs and the value of the sport

Msg: #1 in digest
From: CDRHVN@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:53:32 EST

I think you are all in the ball park with the tail  chasing. Luckily I
never had it but my friend did. We don't think it was  boredom in her case.We
will be the first to tell you it needs to  be stopped NOW!!! She had a dog
dislocate his hip from tail chasing and others  with bloody stubs. We think it
is obsessive-compulsive behavior that is genetic.  Once she got out of those
bloodlines she never had it again.    Brenda

------------------------------

Msg: #2 in digest
From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:05:51 -0800

It's interesting that this came up.   I've been running down websites
of many,many breeds as I"m chasing kennel names for something.
Several of the breed groups DO have a rating of some type.  Sometimes
it's just positive referrals, and other times, it was more comments of
both positive and negative.  Rescues get rated, Boarding Kennels get
rated, Grooming schools get rated and Training schools get rated.
Often on the more commercial sites (I had to go through those, too...
the Advertising sites), there is a "Be the first to rate this kennel,
breeder, trainer, etc., etc)

Just an observation

Stormy

On Nov 15, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Denise Williams wrote:

> You know, I made this suggestion a few months ago on another gsd
> website, and was attacked by several listers, including a few on
> this list.
> I made mention of experiences that were shared with me by other
> newbies, some who have left the breed. I was blasted for being
> negative, spouting nonsense that all breeders are bad, and basically
> told that I
> have no worth in this breed.

------------------------------

Msg: #3 in digest
From: "gail rutter" <ruttergsd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:34:41 -0600

Need to hear from anyone who has had experience with this, please.
I have a dog who, after it taking several months and multiple vet visits,
we found tested positive and he has been on doxycycline.  I'm looking
for experience with the healing process and therapy and/or further
medication.

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:48:32 -0500
From: falkrigia@xxxxxxx

istance.
 They have been bitten by the bug !!
Hopefully they'll become great show people and be in the sport for years to
come !
Jim and Lenny did a great job finishing him out in short order and he's always
just the happiest of dogs to deal with.

Questor is out of Ch Falkrigia's Rastus B Dragonfire RN HT OFA x Caphalo's
Jolene (owned by Louise Cauthen).

Congrats to all the other winners this weekend in NC !!
lynda

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
From: "Tom Elkins" <firethorntemplete@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:57:14 -0800

Tail chasing is also very common in other species, eg. male humanoids. Male
behavioral onset symptoms typically appear at about sixteen years and often
continue well into the sixties.There are no known cures. Certain medications
are helpful, but there are negative side effects. Research reveals no
reliable data on dislocated hips or bloody stubs. Indications of genetic
links are suspected, but there are no definitive studies or dependable data
Best advice is to avoid these bloodlines.
tom elkins
>I think you are all in the ball park with the tail  chasing. Luckily I
> never had it but my friend did. We don't think it was  boredom in her
> case.We
> will be the first to tell you it needs to  be stopped NOW!!! She had a dog
> dislocate his hip from tail chasing and others  with bloody stubs. We
> think it
> is obsessive-compulsive behavior that is genetic.  Once she got out of
> those
> bloodlines she never had it again.    Brenda

> BE PROSECUTED.

------------------------------

Msg: #6 in digest
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 19:28:28 -0500
From: "R. Steiner" <mobilegrmr@xxxxxxxxx>

I don't even know where to begin.  Several years ago my dog was
diagnosed with lyme, unfortunately she'd had it for at least 1.5 years
before we got a diagnosis. Her symptoms were very strange....she lost
her bark, and she couldn't concentrate which was a BIT of a problem
since we were going for her UDX.  Light sensitivity, some sound
sensitivity.....She also got in fights with my other bitch which was
very out of character for her. (Fortunately THAT problem went away as
soon as we started treatment!)  But she never had any lameness or any
of the typical lyme symptoms.

Unfortunately we've had to put her back on doxycycline several times,
usually in the Fall, when she gets a bit "Lyme-brained.'  I don't
think it ever completely goes away.

--Regina
2 GSDs and one permanently visiting papillon

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM, gail rutter <ruttergsd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Need to hear from anyone who has had experience with this, please.
> I have a dog who, after it taking several months and multiple vet visits,
> we found tested positive and he has been on doxycycline.  I'm looking
> for experience with the healing process and therapy and/or further
> medication.

> POST is Copyrighted 2009.  All material remains the property of the original

> PROSECUTED.

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:34:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Joan Fox <campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx>

And congratulations to you!
Nice caring people deserve nothing less.
Joan
 Joan F. Fox website: http://www.campaignersgsds.com
17500 Haskins Rd.
Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44023
Home & Fax: 440-543-9165
Cell: 440-759-4119

________________________________
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:39:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>

It appears that they have pulled the plug on this story...if I can figure out
how to get a link, I will post again.
Sorry for the confusion...
Dawn

------------------------------

Msg: #9 in digest
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:59:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>

My girl Roxy had it a few years ago, and thankfully I had a friend who was very
experienced it due to her own dog.  I learned from my friend whose dog almost
died to her dog going into kidney failure that most vets don;t treat long
enough or strong enough dose.  Minimum six weeks, and 200 mg three times a day
(600 mg) for 2 months. She has been fine for almost 3 years, no rerpeat
symptoms.  Then you do a western blot test, and you want the reading to be
under 50 (my girl was over 300 when she was tested the first time), if over 50
then continue and you may have to treat up to 3 months.  Any dose lower/time
less you are at risk of it coming back is much higher.

Her brother also got Lymes about the same time, they only did 1 pill three
times a day (300mg) for four weeks per their vet.  He had several reoccurances
after, until his owner put him on the same dose/time table as his sister, and
no repeat after and he's been fine for almost 2 years.

Once they have Lymes, they will always have it.  And as my vet said 90% of dogs
do have Lymes, just don;t have the symptoms.

Hope this helps you

Ann Marie
www.amarigsd.com
Home of
Ch Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC ROM OFA
Ch Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy CGC TC OFA
Amari's Elizabeth Taylor (Major pointed/Best in Show Bred-By winner)
Breeder/Owner of
R/Best in Futurity Ch Amari's Ava Gardner TC OFA
Ch Amari's Bandit of Broadcreek OFA (Multiple Group Placer)
Amari's Blissfull Jazz CGC TDI (Major pointed)
Amari's Cinderella von Hornberger (Ch pointed)
Amari's Chances Are (Ch pointed)
Amari's Ella Enchanted (Ch pointed @ 7 months/Major Reserve @ 11 months)

------------------------------

Msg: #10 in digest
From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:16:55 EST

In a message dated 11/15/2009 2:51:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Basically the impression I got was it doesn't matter when it happens to  a
new person, someone just tells them that they should have done their
homework...  Of course, all the homework in the world doesn't matter if  people
are not up front with you.  Now when it happens to someone who is  established
in the breed...

Anything you do in life takes a bit of strength.  If you turn  away the
first time you get a bit of bad news, you will spend your life turning  in
circles.

Take the good, deny the bad, and share with others your experiences.   Hope
that others will be honest with you, and always be honest with them, no
matter what they do.

In the end it is great fun, worth learning, and always something new to
enjoy.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/