  • From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 14:59:11 -0500

I have gone back and forth about posting or not. Please please please give me a
break. What the heck am I doing in conformation busting my butt to put a good
dog in there if all I have to show for it is a judge who can't judge breeding
stock????? I do use the judges opinion of my dog as one step in my breeding
program. I don't care if they "screw" up sometimes, but I do care that a judge
I am paying good money for doesn't know a good dog when he sees it. And I am
sorry but I expect a judge to know the breed enough that they can explain what
they liked and didn't like. I don't care if they are "only" human but I sure as
heck care that they know the breed enough to judge properly and give it their
best shot EVERY time. Yes they should be students of the breed, as we all
should be, but by the time they become judges they should have learned
something they can pass on.
So from this newbie I am now enlightened regarding the poor judging that we are
apparently seeing......it is because after all how can we expect more from our
judges??? And all of the judges out there who do your jobs to the best of your
ability each and every time, all of you who have learned the standard.... how
does it feel to know so little is expected of you? I don't care if a dog
breeder is a good judge but I sure do care that a judge be a good judge.
Occasional mistakes are not the problem, the problem is if you expect nothing
from a judge that is what you get. I think we have some freakin excellent
judges out there and I believe they judge the dogs to the standard and they
know what the heck the standard is.  We also have some poor judges out there
who should not be judging they should run for office. I don't think a judge
needs to know anything other than what they see in front of them to know
whether or not this dog is close to the standard and may be good for breeding
which is why conformation is my 1st step in whether or not this dog will or
will not be in my breeding program. It is the beginning of the process but a
necessary one in my newbie opinion.
Pam

Msg: #1 in digest
rom: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
ubject: Re: If you ask me
ate: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 11:00:47 -0500
this is one of the most sensible posts Evan's ever sent to the list.
     Judges should be, simply, students of the breed..........(breeders
hould, too, but many aren't).........and as I wrote to someone the other
ight, even the best judge screws up sometimes.
     Not every good judge can explain his or her choices every time,
ither, at least not to the satisfaction of the exhibitors...but over time,
ooking back at the choices a judge has made...preferably before the dogs
hosen had attained fame, it should be possible to figure out whether a
articular judge gets it right most of the time..........which is all we can
sk, really.  I say most of the time because judges are only human, after
ll...nobody is right all the time--and judges make mistakes.
   None of us want to be on the wrong end of the mistakes, of course...
        We also need to recognize that not everyone who breeds good dogs can
e a good judge.  Just because you like to eat doesn't mean you are going to
e a good cook, after all.
eggy