  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 19:31:12 EDT

In a message dated 9/17/2006 3:58:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> ------------------------------
>
> Msg: #9 in digest
> From: "Robert Dir" <dir@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: One Man's Opinion
> Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:49:36 -0500
>
> I get the Canine Chronicle every month.  I have never purchased this journal
> but guess I get it because I am a judge--have no idea.
> In the last issue an all breed judge, Ric Chashoudian, stated when a GSD
> comes to him for group or BIS he feels they are way to thin.  He spoke with
> Jimmy about this and Jimmy said that is the way specialty judges  liked them.
> do not skinny dogs!  One of my first mentors said if you press on the rib
> cage and cannot feel the ribs--the dog is to fat--Denny.  I think many times
> show dogs are kept to thin to cover bad backs.
> What do judges think about this?
> Sandi Card
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Msg: #10 in digest
> From: "Robert Dir" <dir@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Review
> Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:40:41 -0500
>
> Sandi Card in Sterling, Il. received hers 2 days ago---nice issue by the
> way.  What must those fold outs cost?  WOW!  Sandi

  I RECALL VIVDLY WHEN THAT 'FAD' CAME INTO BEING... SKINNY, RIBBY  DOGS ...
Some of The Handler s and owners excused it saying  it was so they move
faster... Which was all  Baloney!!! They were narrowly built and lacked bone
and
substance and often had narrow long heads.. Looking back now, I feel they were
making excuses for 'poor keepers'  shepherds who were probably  PAA/EPI
affected, and the breeders/handlers , claimed they were in excellent   'racing
condition'... If you look today they are still all about us...Looking down on
top of
them they are narrow across the shoulders and pelvis... Now they fluff-dry
their coats to give a more correct look of substance.. I love to see these kind
out in the rain , soaking wet...The truth is  then very apparent..
The GS is supposed to be a dog of  strong bone, body , muscle and
substance...Not  looking like a Saluki or Greyhound... Which is very much in
evidence
today...They often haven't any width of forechest and  their two front legs
appear to be coming out of the same hole.. I always called them the 'Angelfish
Shepherds"... They appear, to the uneducated eye to be deep in body, viewed
from
the side, because they have deep ribbing..But looking  down on them , you can
often span their withers and pelvis with little more than an open hand...and a
Woman's hand at that...JMO Barb Williams