  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:22:40 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/2006 6:06:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> ------------------------------
>
> Msg: #2 in digest
> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 05:14:56 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Open letter to the Club.,..
>
> In the final outcome, it will be how we treated the least of His creatures
> that will determine out judgement. Are we, as a nation,really any better than
> the people in China who are clubbing dogs to death in the street? People turn
> a blind eye and a deaf ear because it is hard to see, but I have just
> finished looking at page after page of innocent puppies who are going to be
> gassed
> today for the lack of a home. Yet we do nothing. Our club is NOT a poor club.
> We have the finances and the voice to make changes, yet we choose to ignore
> their cries. I have sent a letter to our Club begging that we come together
> and find a way to help stop the overflow of unwanted pets...by breeding, we
> are just as culpable as everyone else. If we are to keep our purebred GSD's,
> then morally and ethically, we need to help those who have no one. PETA and
> the
> rest do nothing but pull in money...I see no ads in national publications
> showing the gas chambers and dead bodies...I see no commercials
> on television showing the sad faces of the senior dogs who are dumped...But
> WE CAN DO THIS! Think what it would mean to us as a breed if WE outed the
> "shelters" and brought the light of the public eye to the holocaust!
> Let the GSDCA be the first breed to start the ball rolling...lets have a
> booth at all breed shows to pull in the other breeds and suggest this to them
> as
> well! How can success in a show ring mean anything to us when we see barrels
> full of dead puppies???? Dont we love all dogs?
> The mind set of people needs to change in order to effect any meaningful
> difference in the world. We, as a breed club, can be the ones to start. I
> have
> said this before, but it bears repeating...The GSD has given all it has to
> us...it has led us from darkness, guarded our homes, protected our military
> and
> police. Let the GSD be the breed to liberate those who sit in silent misery
> in hellholes throughout the US. The time for blame is over...dogs are dying
> by
> the thousands every day...how can we ignore this and sleep at night??? Why?
> Because WE didnt breed them??? Because some of these innocents came from a
> BYB or a puppymill??? Thinking that it is not our problem is going to be the
> cause for the loss of our breed...They will eventually find a way to stop us
> from breeding if we continue to do nothing. The handwriting is on the
> wall...When the animal rights people go thru row after row of unwanted
> animals (a high
> percentage are purebred) and see PUPPIES put in gas chambers,
> [...]

  DAWN:  That is a beautifully written and emotionally expressive
post!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please forward that to me so I can use it to present  along
with my
pleas to the  GSDCA Board at the next meeting..
.We do so Desperately need to be  involved in a much more Powerful and
Meaningful way thru Our  Parent Club and Our Regional Clubs..for  German
Shepherd
RESCUE..
  One of these days, we will find ourselves looking back on this  period of
time as  a warning  time.... Always thinking it is somebody else's problem,
while we continue to breed German Shepherd puppies and fill magazines with
those
offered for sale...Advertise our Stud Dogs, etc...I am certainly not
advocating that we do not breed our  German Shepherds and have  Puppies for
Sale.
 I am simply saying we must be responsible for every single one of them  from
cradle to grave, if they are abandoned or thrown away for whatever reason.
That signal alone would resound thru the Dog World, that the German Shepherd
Breeders are stepping up to the plate and assuming responsibility for their
own..
.Perhaps that attitude would then affect the other PureBred Dog Breeders..
 Then I think the  Puppy Mill Pet Breeders  and those who allow their Mixed
breeds to procreate , would then be controlled by the Legislation that is
constantly working to control all of  the Dog Breeders. The Legislators   would
no
longer need to control US...We would be controlling Ourselves, by acting
responsibly for this German Shepherd Breed.. ...
We never want to  wake up one day and finally recognize that 'We have met the
enemy and it is US.. '   JMO Barb Williams