  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:06:57 EDT

In a message dated 7/16/2006 10:14:07 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx writes:
"Gun  -sureness testing  is only part of the package that tests a dogs
overall
suitability for  utility. If hip certification, endurance, working
temperament, and working ability are also not tested, then you have
succeeded in weeding out dogs with only one defect. The rest remain.   "

------

This is the part that concerns me about this whole proposal.  Even for  just
temperament, you're only focusing on one part of the TT.  The dog  that's
fine with gunfire, may still freak out over other parts of the PC TT.   Are
there
any figures on what percentage of dogs fail which part(s) of the  test?  Does
every dog that passes the gun shot test, do fine with the umbrella, weird  and
friendly strangers, unusual footing, etc, tests as well?  I guess I  don't
see how
including one part of the PC Temperament Test in the national is  superior to
the title obtained from passing the full test.

The dogs I've had that didn't have temperaments I considered ideal,
have never had problems with fireworks or thunder, or seemed overly
concerned when we used to get pheasant hunters in the fields behind  mine.

I agree a dog that freaks out over loud noises is a problem, but I'm  not
convinced that a gunshot test, by itself, proves a dog has a sound
temperament.    Whether it's implemented or not doesn't  bother me,
but I can't say I'd be at all impressed by it.

Janice