  • From: "Andrew Tesiorowski" <andrewtesiorowski@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 01:05:24 +0000

Hello.  I have a question about how I can post a question to the list??

Thanks.....Cheers

>From: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >Reply-To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >To:
showgsd-l digest users <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: showgsd-l Digest
V2 #870 >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:58:06 -0500 (EST) >>showgsd-l Digest Tue,
22 Mar 2005 Volume: 02  Issue: 870 >>In This Issue: >#1: From: "Helen"
<helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: Does your dog eat paper? >#2: From:
Shepherds4us@xxxxxxx >Subject: Re: Does your dog eat paper? >#3: From:
"Stephanie Bennet" <CorollaGSD@xxxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: OFA >#4: From: "Penny
&Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: ALL CAPS >#5: From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
From:Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx> >Subject: IS THERE SUCH A PLACE? >#7: From:
Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx> >Subject: Re: why are all breed shows getting bigger
and >#8: From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx >Subject: Re: SouthWest Futurity Date??
Dogpeople@xxxxxxx >Subject: all breed shows >#11: From: JIMmez@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: VACCINES/PROTOCOL/BRAND >#12: From: "Robert Dir"
<dir@xxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: Re: The shoulder, movement, &"cat like"
discussion....
>>Msg: #1 in digest >From: "Helen" <helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: Does
yourdog eat paper? >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:43:46 -0800 >>sg: #2 in digest
>From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx >>Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:44:56 EST >>Subject: Re:
Does Your Dog Eat Paper? >>In a message dated 3/22/2005 1:30:39 PM Pacific
Standard Time, >>barwenshepherds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes: >>I think if I hadn't
caught her in the act she would have devoured the whole >>roll. >>REPLY:
>>Myword, we have dogs that eat poop and now we have dog that eat the toilet
>paper. >>We should breed them.  <VBG>  Helen Franklin
Shepherds4us@xxxxxxx >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:07:05 EST >Subject: Re: Does
your dog eat paper? >>Last time I had a dog that ate paper, is when she used
to eat my  homework! >>Todd and  Joanie Vigor Tonor German Shepherds
>Signersof the "Breeders' Code of  Ethics" >" When Love And Experience Work
Together, Expect A  Masterpiece"_Ch >Ken-Delaines Buddie v Fran-Jo_
>(http://www.ken-delainegsd.com/ch_kendelaines_buddie_v_franjo.htm)
Bennet" <CorollaGSD@xxxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: OFA >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005
19:14:59 -0500 >>I was just at the OFA's website and saw where in addition
tohips, elbows and CERF, some GSD's are also being tested for shoulders and
the BAER hearing test.  Is this something new, or am I too much of a newbie?
>>Please respond privately. >>Thank you. >>Stephanie Bennet
>>------------------------------ >>Msg: #4 in digest >From: "Penny &Bill"
<Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: ALL CAPS >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:26:20
-0500>>I THINK WE SHOULD ALL USE ALL CAPS ONE DAY A WEEK IN HONOR OF TOM--HE
MAKES SOME VERY GOOD POINTS.  I SAY THAT A GOOD DOG CAN (AND WILL) DO IT IN
BOTH RINGS.  THERE ARE MANY GOOD ALL BREED JUDGES, SAME WITH SPECIALTY.
(ANDSOME BAD IN EACH VENUE). >Penny in NY >>Penny &Bill >Landsend Kennels
>Since 1974 >>------------------------------ >>Msg: #5 in digest >From:
EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:28:07 EST >Subject: Re: why are
all breed shows getting bigger and specialti >>In a message dated 3/22/2005
2:19:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, RckyIizard >writes: >Because I type with
one finger and still have to hunt for the letters, I tend >to write in
readers digest form. I guess I need to be more explicit. My post >was not an
attack on every dog that has won at an all breed show. And it was >not to
imply that every judge who judges an all breed show is an idiot. what I >AM
saying is there are many many all breed judges who do not have a clue as to
>what a good shepherd should look like they judge shepherds because they
>needed to judge them so they could get the herding group. So if you have a
pretty >colored dog with it's ears up all the time and likes to show you
havea shot >even though he is a mediocre dog. NOW there are 5 mediocre dogs
for every good >one. Hence my answer to the question "why are all breed
showsgetting larger >and specialties getting smaller" there are 5 mediocre
toevery 1 good one.  Fred >>PS after 17 years of refusing to judge at an all
breed I am doing one in Aug. >they assured me the ring would be large and I
would be FAR away from the >other rings >>>>>>>>>Maybe it's because a person
can take a mediocre dog get a known handler >>>[or not] and show under a toy
poodle breeder and have a shot.   Fred M >>>>
------------------------------- >>  Hey Fred--please don't cheapen all of
theall-breeds like that.  There are >>some all-breed judges that I've
crossedoff my list as "not knowing a good >>GSD if it leapt up and bit them
on the nose" but I've also crossed off some >>specialty judges for the same
reason. >>>>My champion shows--and wins--under both specialty and all-breed
judges, you >>yourself placed him at our specialty here, when he was still
very young >>looking.  However, all of his points are all-breed, simply
because we have 2 days >>of specialty shows a year here (ours) and the rest
of the shows are >>all-breed.  He can stand in the ring with anyone,
anywhere. >>>>Yes some all-breed judges aren't great, and given enough time
and money and >>a "face" handler, you could finish a billy goat under them,
but for the most >>part, I think most of the ones I have shown under have
tried very hard to >>find the closest dog to the Standard. >>>>Liz in Utah
2005 19:27:29 -0500 >From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx> >Subject: IS THERE SUCH A
PLACE? >>Is there a place connected with the list where one can post photos?
>Peggy >>>>>>>>------------------------------ >>Msg: #7 in digest >Date:
Tue,22 Mar 2005 19:32:15 -0500 >From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx> >Subject: Re:
why are all breed shows getting bigger and >>And on top of all that, every
judge, no matter what the venue, has a bad >day every once in a while.  And
some who usually stink every now and >then have a good day! >     Freddie,
where's the all breed show you're judging?  Maybe we'll >have a pizza party
there, too!!! >Peggy >EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx wrote: >>>In a message dated 3/22/2005
2:19:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, RckyIizard >>writes: >>Because I type with
one finger and still have to hunt for the letters, I tend >>to write in
readers digest form. I guess I need to be more explicit. My post >>was not
anattack on every dog that has won at an all breed show. And it was >>not to
imply that every judge who judges an all breed show is an idiot. what I >>AM
saying is there are many many all breed judges who do not have a clue as to
>>what a good shepherd should look like they judge shepherds because they
>>needed to judge them so they could get the herding group. So if you have a
pretty >>colored dog with it's ears up all the time and likes to show you
have a shot >>even though he is a mediocre dog. NOW there are 5 mediocre
dogsfor every good >>one. Hence my answer to the question "why are all breed
shows getting larger >>and specialties getting smaller" there are 5 mediocre
to every 1 good one.  Fred >>>>PS after 17 years of refusing to judge at an
all breed I am doing one in Aug. >>they assured me the ring would be large
and I would be FAR away from the >>other rings >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Maybe it's
because a person can take a mediocre dog get a known handler
Fred M >>>>>>>>>>>------------------------------- >>>Hey Fred--please don't
cheapen all of the all-breeds like that.  There are >>>some all-breed judges
that I've crossed off my list as "not knowing a good >>>GSD if it leapt up
and bit them on the nose" but I've also crossed off some >>>specialty judges
for the same reason. >>>>>>My champion shows--and wins--under both specialty
and all-breed judges, you >>>yourself placed him at our specialty here, when
he was still very young >>>looking.  However, all of his points are
all-breed, simply because we have 2 days >>>of specialty shows a year here
(ours) and the rest of the shows are >>>all-breed.  He can stand in the ring
with anyone, anywhere. >>>>>>Yes some all-breed judges aren't great, and
given enough time and money and >>>a "face" handler, you could finish a
billygoat under them, but for the most >>>part, I think most of the ones I
have shown under have tried very hard to >>>find the closest dog to the
Standard. >>>>>>Liz in Utah
================ >>POST is Copyrighted 2005.  All material remains the
property of the original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO
REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind are permitted without prior permission
of the original author  AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS
RESERVED.>>>>ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR
USE IN ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE
EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS
EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS
PROHIBITIONWILL BE PROSECUTED. >>>>For assistance, please contact the List
Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx >>>>VISIT OUR WEBSITE -
http://www.showgsd.org
>>===========================================================================
= >>>>>>>>>>>>------------------------------ >>Msg: #8 in digest >From:
Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:34:42 EST >Subject: Re:
SouthWest Futurity Date?? >>same problem with the S/E futurity...has it as
Friday May 1st, when in fact >it is Sunday May 1st. >Molly >Trillia  German
Shepherds >>>>------------------------------ >>Msg: #9 in digest >From:
GSD0110@xxxxxxx >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:34:40 EST >Subject: Re: shoulders
>>>In a message dated 3/21/2005 11:37:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>Doctrcorgi@xxxxxxx writes: >butmy  mind was obscessed with the breed...and
still is (GGG)   Chuck >>>>>>AhHAH!!!!!! THAT is the thing we all have in
common.   And  everyone has a >plan in mind (or at least I hope they do).
Every one has  confidence that their >plan is correct..... That is what
keepsour breed  great. >>Thank God for mentors that will teach those of us
with less experience what >has worked for them in the past.  The one thing I
have learned is that no >person is ever successful doing it "their" way....
It (breeding good dogs) must >be done just like it has been done in the
past.  Then hopefully the traits >that we select for will give this breed a
continued bright future. >>I, like Helen and Evan, think the GSD has never
been better.  We do  have >faults that need correcting.  Let's keep an open
mind and keep working  on those >things which need to improve. >>Gary Lewis
Dogpeople@xxxxxxx >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:44:23 EST >Subject: all breed
shows >>>Wellll everyone, >>I am an all breed chairperson, I have very good
GSD's, pointed in both >specialty and all breed.  Not only that I have a
shepherd club supporting  the >entry and use specialty judges, give a big
ring and the only thing I won't  permit >is blatant doubling.  We get
mediocre entries because our show is  during the >futurity months.  But you
are all welcome....Joan Fox is  judging, I figured >if she is good enough to
do a national...... >>Mackie >>MacDan German  Shepherds >BonAmi Petits
BassetGriffon Vendeen >Plush Puppy  MidAtlantic--All natural Grooming
Products Make your dog look >like a show  dog.
JIMmez@xxxxxxx >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:47:47 EST >Subject: Re:
VACCINES/PROTOCOL/BRAND >>In a message dated 3/22/05 4:46:42 PM Eastern
Standard Time, >WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx writes: >Hi >What Brand DHPP/CORONA are
folks using now a days?  A friend of mine in >another breed said they are
doing  vaccines at 8, 12 and 16 weeks using >Duramune >still, and others are
continuing to do 6,9,12 and 16... what is everyone else >doing?  What area
ofUSA are you from and are you doing Lyme and Lepto too. >Thanks! >Dawnmarie
>---------------------------------------------------------------- >Lepto now
will be given every 6 months at my vet. He just returned from a >seminar out
west where studies have shown tiders not holding up for the normal >year. On
Long Island we have had alot of Lepto around the past few years. >Hopefully
this will be a better year. We also have gotten positives on Heartworm. >My
suggestion would be to make sure you and your Vet is up to date on whats
>going on in your area of the country. Give shots if your area is
susceptible. >>>Jim >Bertalan Shepherds >Long Island, NY
<dir@xxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: Re: The shoulder, movement, &"cat like"
discussion.... >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:01:16 -0600 >>Barbara, >Well oiled
machine may say it better than cat like.  With ease--not working >to get the
job done.  Thanks.  Sandi Card >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Barbara
Galasso" <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx> >To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >Sent: Tuesday,
March 22, 2005 8:12 AM >Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] The shoulder, movement, &"cat
like" discussion.... >>>>I have sat back and read the many, many posts of
theshoulder and it's >>purpose in movement.  Chuck, Tom, Fred, Morton, Helen
and others truly >>gave a viewpoint coming from a combination of many years
of education, >>judging and breeding.  I heard the discussion of "cat like"
motion used. >>Some agreed with it.  Some did not.  I think some took it too
>>literally.  I really liked how Helen and Chuck described it.  From my
>>ownunderstanding of what I thought they were trying to say, I don't
>>thinkthey meant that the dog needed to be structured like the cat to
>>movein this "cat like" motion.  What I gathered from their conversation
>>and what I have believed all along myself is when I good mover moves, he
>>propels himself forward with his head and drops his body moving close to
>>the ground.  He pushes from his hindquarters and thrusts this movement
>>tothe foreassembly in one smooth action.  There's no hackney, choppy,
>>lifting kind of movement.  Everything moves like a well oiled machine.
>>I'm sorry I don't have some of your scientific background or extensive
>>research that you have done, but if you read the posts of the last
>>coupleof days, how very confusing reading all this stuff about the 35
>>degree angle, the 90 degree angle, the layback, the lay on.  I
>>personallybelieve when a judge goes out into the middle of the ring, he
>>is not thinking about all those scientifically correct equations that
>>he's read and studied about.  Of course he should understand them, but
>>it's what the animal is presenting to him in the ring.  This is not an
>>exact science, we know the perfect animal hasen't been born. >>Excuse the
comparision, but it's like once you learn how to ride a bike, >>you never
forget.  Show a student of the breed what a great moving dog >>looks like,
and the vision in your brain shall never forget it.  All the >>laybacks of
shoulders by laying hands on and feeling for length of upper >>arms, in my
opinion is not as necessary when you see the dog move >>properly.  If he's
opening up in the front, you know he must have the >>proper bone structure.
  I see people advertising dogs in the magazines >>or web sites right now
andthey are showing dogs that are reaching from >>the elbow, kicking up in
the rear, roaching the back because they don't >>have the proper
transmissionof follow through from the thrust of the >>rear extending to the
front assembly. >>I guess my point is, all this discussion on paper is
fine.....it gives >>us an education.......it teaches us the scientific
reasons to back up >>peoples points of views.  Students of the breed can
learn the >>theory................but when it comes to applying that theory
to the >>dog, just how much smarter are they.  They have learned book
knowledge, >>that's all.  They need to apply that theory, and the only way
they are >>going to do that is with live animals that know how to move.  It
is the >>best education one can get.  Charts, diagrams, pictures are all
nice, >>but lets face it, most of the dogs we see in person don't look
anything >>like what the standard calls for anyway.  So what's the point?
>>Admittingly, I'm a movement nut (right or wrong), it's just my
>>preference.  I've been successful in a very small, humble way, but I was
>>lucky to study movement and shoulder assembly because I owned a
>>beautifulmoving bitch and she produced it.   Sure I read every book and
>>magazine on the subject, but looking at my dogs was all the education I
>>needed.  And like the expression or not, she did move like a
>>cat...............a powerful cat.  Here
>>again.................JMHO.............Barbara Galasso >>>>Owner and/or
breeder of:  BIM CH. Arbar Xanadu, ROM,  Sel #3 CH. >>Chieftain's Kharu,
CH.Chieftain's Kazaan,  CH. Chieftain's Nobility, >>BOS Maturity Chieftain's
Nuance,  Llenroc Summer Harvest (5 pt. major), >>Chieftain's Phara of Rymsas
(Am. ptd.), Chieftain's Dakota (Can. ptd.) >>and now Amber's Strike a Pose
== >>>------------------------------ >>End of showgsd-l Digest V2 #870