  • From: Joan Fox <campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: santanagsd1954@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 06:56:27 -0700 (PDT)

I agree here also. Genetics. Some bloodlines have more problems than others.
The gene is lurking in every breeding whether American or German.
We can't change that now just deal with it honestly and don't breed into it if
possible.
Joan

  #1: From: MORGAN LEWIS
<shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: selling puppies
  #2: From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:windwych@xxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: URGENT!!!!!
  #3: From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>>
  #4: From: Ann Mariano
<brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>>
  #5: From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx<mailto:Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx>
  Subject: Re: What ever happened to our dog's posternum?
  #6: From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx<mailto:Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx>
  Subject: Re: Bloat and our dog's posternum?
  #7: From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx<mailto:Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx>
  Subject: Re: Is Bloat and Torsion sex related?

  Msg: #1 in digest
  Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:51:29 -0700 (PDT)
  From: MORGAN LEWIS
<shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>>

  I have rarely had good luck with the major paper (AJC).  Best method I have
found in word of mouth, and referals. Being a member of an obedience class or
herding group also helps. Morgan
  Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:  A
friend of mine has four 15 week old puppies that she held onto...all of them
with show potential. She really wanted to place a couple and finally broke down
and put an ad in the paper ( a big city paper) this past weekend. She did not
get a single phone call.

  Cindy

  Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx<mailto:Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

  In a message dated 3/14/2008 10:30:33 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
  dan-ann@xxxxxxxx<mailto:dan-ann@xxxxxxxx> writes:
  I am interested in know with today's economy if any one is concerned about
  being able to place their puppies? I have not bred in a few years but still
  get calls- and refer them on. But in about the last 4 months there has been
  basically no calls - Just wondered what other areas are like
  sally

  Have had 3 calls in the past 2 months. One person did not want to pay more
  than $200...I suggested rescue. The others I referred...........

  Molly

  Trillia German Shepherds since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
  Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont, Life member CKC
  "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur
  built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic"

  Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001<http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001>)

  For assistance, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org<http://www.showgsd.org/>

  Cindy
  www.cinosamgsd.com<http://www.cinosamgsd.com/>

  For assistance, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org<http://www.showgsd.org/>

  Morgan and His Angels
    Precious, OFA
    Princess, CGC, TDI, GSDCA Health Award
    "RAW" fed, No Vaccinations

  ---------------------------------

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #2 in digest
  Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:52:52 -0700 (PDT)
  From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:windwych@xxxxxxxxx>>

  Could Carlos Navarro or Christine Grainger contact me immediatley!!
  617 538 4393!!!!!
  Dawn Restuccia

  Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
  Last Hope, Safe Haven
  Donations may be made to:
  Paypal via windwych@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:windwych@xxxxxxxxx>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #3 in digest
  Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:06:46 -0700 (PDT)
  From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>>

  Thanks. I was actually responding to Sally's question about whether puppy
sales are effecting the ecomomy though, not looking for criticism on how my
friend sells her puppies which normally is word of mouth, btw.  However if you
want to tell me how it should be done, I will be happy to pass it along.

    Cindy

  Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

  I think buyers are better educated today, and are more aware than ever the
newpaper is not the place buyers look for puppies.
  Most buyers look online or contact their local vet or training school about
pups. Maybe she needs to reevaluate how she places pups?
  Cinosam GSD wrote:
  A friend of mine has four 15 week old puppies that she held onto...all of
them with show potential. She really wanted to place a couple and finally broke
down and put an ad in the paper ( a big city paper) this past weekend. She did
not get a single phone call.

  Cindy

  Ann Marie

www.geocities.com/amarigermanshepherds/Amari.html<http://www.geocities.com/amarigermanshepherds/Amari.html>

  Home of
  Ch Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC ROM OFA
  Ch Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy CGC TC OFA
  Amari's Elizabeth Taylor (Ch. pointed/Major R. @ 6 months)
  Breeder/Owner of
  R/Best in Futurity Ch Amari's Ava Gardner TC OFA
  Ch Amari's Bandit of Broadcreek OFA (Multiple Group Placer)
  Amari's Blissfull Jazz CGC TDI (Major pointed)
  Amari's Cinderella von Hornberger (Ch. pointed)
  Amari's Chances Are (Ch. pointed)

  ---------------------------------

  For assistance, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org<http://www.showgsd.org/>

  Cindy
  www.cinosamgsd.com<http://www.cinosamgsd.com/>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #4 in digest
  Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:37:47 -0700 (PDT)
  From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>>

  Hi.

    I wasn't trying to criticize, but explained why some breeders may have to
start using different ways to place pups then prior.  Word amouth is good, but
most breders need outside sorces especailly if they have a larger litter.  Ten+
years ago, newspapers were the best route to go, now with the internet, online
is.  I would advertise in a pay site (about 25-30 a month) such as
www.terrificpets.com<http://www.terrificpets.com/> , or many of the free
breeder sites out there.  if she does a search online for  "free breeder ad"
she can find sites which she can advertise online for free.  My girlfriend
recently tried this after not being able to sell her last 3 pups in the paper,
and all were sold after 2 weeks of placing online ads.
[...]

  Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it
now.

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #5 in digest
  From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx<mailto:Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:41:05 EDT

  Stormy,

  I don't see another post from you today, so I'm praying your Dreamer
  came through the surgery and is recovering!  Two weeks ago
  I lost my four year old Cajun to bloat.  If it had happened in the  daytime,
  my vet probably could have saved him, but it was late at night and  the
  only vet available was the er vet 20 miles away.  We made the  drive
  in heavy fog, but we never even saw the vet - he was "unavailable"
  with no info on when he would be there.  I couldn't watch Cajun  suffer
  any longer, so I finally told them to euthanize him.  He was my
  mind reader - always knew what I wanted him to do.  He was a
  healthy dog, good weight, good bone and well muscled and was
  NOT slab sided or barrel chested.  Those who were RV'ing it at
  the 2004 National may remember the big male pup I had with  me;
  that was Cajun.  I still can't accept that he's gone.

  Janice

  In a message dated 3/14/2008 11:47:53 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
  Stormy435@xxxxxxx<mailto:Stormy435@xxxxxxx> writes:
  I'm glad  you said "seldom", Gary.  Because this is so new and so
  overwhelming to me.    Dreamer is groomed daily, rake and brush,  he is
  continually
  exercised and walked. Is in great shape, sleeps by my  bed, and has never
  been away
  from me since he was whelped, until I left  him with my son to go to the
  national for 5 days.  He has a  great diet, no parasites and healthy...and
  is being
  operated on for  torsion as I write.
  Stormy
  In a message dated 3/14/08 10:29:20 PM,
gsd0110@xxxxxxx<mailto:gsd0110@xxxxxxx> writes:

  > I have another thought to add to this  too... and that is strong abdominal
  > muscles... dogs that are well  toned and healthy from a good diet and
  plenty of
  > exercise.... dogs  that are kept parasite free and healthy... who are
  groomed
  > daily?(in  my case?a rake run throught them on the table just before the
  >  walk).... dogs who live this way seldom bloat.....at least that is my
  >  experience....

  Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001<http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001>)

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #6 in digest
  From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx<mailto:Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:46:17 EDT

  In a message dated 3/15/2008 12:21:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
  dan-ann@xxxxxxxx<mailto:dan-ann@xxxxxxxx> writes:

  Changing of the season, barometric pressure  who knows  but something causes
  this grouping

  Glad you mentioned this Sally.  The Germans are very  high on the amount of
  stress cause when dogs are shedding, and to a point,  I agree.  The few I
have
  had bloat have almost always been early  spring....shed time.
  In mentioning which gender, I lost 1 bitch to bloat and it was when I  was
  away for 2 weeks.  She stressed when I was not  around.  Had a bitch bloat in
  1974, she never torsioned, no  surgery needed.

  But have had more incidences with males, frequently when bitches have  been
  in season.

  Molly

  Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
  Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont, Life  member CKC
  "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone  amateur
  built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the  Titanic"

  Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001<http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001>)

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #7 in digest
  From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx<mailto:Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:50:56 EDT

  In a message dated 3/15/2008 2:01:27 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
  rockannand@xxxxxxx<mailto:rockannand@xxxxxxx> writes:
  I  know that breeding
  season is a difficult time for males and I'm  especially careful to bring my
  Boys in when a girl is in  season.  Girls always stay in the kennel and the
  boys come into  the house so they get a break from the whiff of  them.

  That's interesting.  Over the years I have found when I  separate they stress
  more.  If they are in the kennel and next  to or close to the bitch (the
  males I have used as stud) they are less  upset.  And a little Vicks on the
nose
  helps too.

  Molly

  Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
  Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont, Life  member CKC
  "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone  amateur
  built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the  Titanic"

  Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001<http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001>)

  End of showgsd-l Digest V2 #710