  • From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:23:21 -0500

Stormy,
Thank you for posting this, it is very well worth the read and very true.
Pam

Msg: #3 in digest
ate: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:26:51 -0800
ubject: Potentially Dangerous Animal Owners  VERY Long...
rom: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
Begin forwarded message:
otentially Dangerous Animal Owners
Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:12 pm (PST)

he following was published in the December, 2008 issue of Top Notch
Toys.

ermission to Cross Post

L*

 "Potentially Dangerous Animal Owners" - Linda D. Witouski - November,
2008

t a recent show, I couldn't help but notice the availability of space.  Not
nly was the parking prime, but the space around the rings inside
the building
as incredible.  There were dozens of empty chairs ringside - a commodity
enerally not so available.  It was at that moment that I looked around the
uilding and a queasy feeling crept over me.  Not only was this building
bare,
ut the people in attendance were mostly my age.  That age where you hope
you
an begin your downward decent into living in peace and quiet after having been
nvolved in this sport since the crib, and looking forward to those "twilight"
ears or a dirt nap, whichever.  I reached for the judging schedule to see
how
any Juniors were entered. Nine. Only nine.  I realize that the economy
could
ery well have a definite impact on our s
port, however, there are other factions
hat have a hand in it.'  It hit me like a brick !  When Wayne Pacelle
of the
umane Society
f the United States said, (1993), "One generation and out. We have no
roblems with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human
elective breeding,”  it dawned on me that he wasn't only referring to
the
nimals - he was talking about US.

ONE GENERATION AND OUT IS CLOSER THAN YOU THINK

he animal rights movement pressed into school systems and devised an
ducational program for every animal venue.  Farming, exhibits, zoos,
wildlife,
nvironment, veterinarians, companion animals - no stone was left
unturned.
t doesn't matter what we do, it's surely not in accordance with the animal
ights activist groups. Looking around at the very few young people at dog
hows,and the lack of newcomers of any age, it's become quite clear that
the
eaning of "one generation and out" wasn't only meant for the dogs.  The
nimal rights activist movement has taken over the media, veterinarian, public
 private schools, animal control & training of those animal control officers
s well as lobbyists and legislators. They've infiltrated every thread of
what
e hold dear. Working together, they have managed to convince everybody and
nybody that they are "THE" experts and anything
that we do is wrong and a
isservice to animals.  Young people
hat we should have taken under our wings have turned to assisting the movement
nd most unfortunately, will never know the joy of our sport.  They will
never
earn what animal husbandry truly is nor will they ever understand the pride
of
aving bred, loved, cared for and promoted something that upholds the
standards
hat reputable breeders honor.  They'll never know that special bond
that
evelops nor will they learn to distinguish between the joy of victory and the
gony of defeat.  Worse, they may never learn that people are supposed to be
ble to make choices that best suit them - before it's too late.  It's
up to
ll of us to take back what has been stolen from us and to
learn, quickly, to
ork together as one.  If we don't take the time to reach out and touch
someone
ow, our sport, our animals and our rights are doomed.  If we don't make
every
ffort to bring new people into our fold, who will take over for you when
ou hang up
our leads?  Who will preserve and continue to improve your breed and your
tandards?  What difference will all of the health research mean when the
esults are returned - too late - because you are no longer permitted to have
nimals or the ones you do have must be spayed & neutered?  How will
all of
hat research help when breeding is no longer permitted or the monetary
xpense to breed far outweighs logic?  Are you content to see it all
fall by
he wayside knowing the only animals the future will see will be in museums
or
ooks?  The animal rights movement is taking away our future, and we, the
ajority of the showing populace, are dangerously & extremely close to
being
 One generation and out.

ENTICING NEWCOMERS or SHOOING THEM AWAY?

 great majority of the showing populace has always had an attitude,
articularly when a new person would approach them at a show inquiring about
heir breed or the dogs being shown. This anomaly existed way back when
and it
till exists today.  Looking back, it's clear that this attitude that some
till carry with them, is a great part of the problems today.  We actually
hooed people away, thinking that our world would never come to an end and there
ould be plenty more opportunities to advance our 'lines.'  The showing fancy
asn't thinking about the future and judging by some still existing attitudes,
till aren't realizing the bleak future of our sport confronting us.  We
live
n America and we can do what we want, can't we?  Dog shows will always
xist...won't they?  Worse yet, there are still those individuals that
just
annot
 seem to get along with their own club members and those within their own
reeds, insisting on making life
ifficult for others by continuing to add fuel to whatever fire some disgruntled
erson started for no apparent reason other than their own agenda.  Some
would
uggest that those reasons include selfishness, jealousy and just plain hatred
or anybody that might be doing better in the sport than others or those really
angerous persons that think that "they know it all" without having the
xperience of those before them whom they should be learning from.  All of
hese factors are nothing more than additions to the animal rights movement.
f you are one of these, you might as well join forces with the opposition
and
top hiding behind your animals. If you believe that your actions against
thers will keep you safe, be forewarned that you are not exempt from that knock
n the door. Every person within your club or breed that you destroy, demean
or
therwise terrorize, adds another nail to the coffin we are all facing.
What
ind of message are
ou sending to younger people or any other persons that might have an
interest
n our sport when they discover that those who have been in the sport
forever' seem to be hell bent on destroying each other and that they are
ncapable of working together or helping each other?  How in the world can
you
ducate or assist a NEW person intereste
d in the sport or your breed when you
an't seem to find the time to stop fighting amongst your peers and become that
elpful educator?

IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME - WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT

 actually have grown fond of this ridiculous comment because it gives me the
pportunity to explain what it actually means and why those who use this lame
xcuse are definitely closer to being one generation and out than those who
nderstand the circumstances.  Let me set the record straight using a few of
he popular "reasons" I have been given over the years.  Everything that goes
n in the animal world, especially legislatively, affects everybody.
Cropping
nd docking.  You don't crop or dock, either by choice (while still
available)
r because you don't have a breed that requires or prefers it.  That doesn't
ean that you should sit back ignoring that ban, law or ordinance and not
ssist those breeds that DO, for rest assured, along with that cropping/docking
ssue, another issue will follow that WILL affect you and your breed. By not
ssisting, you are allowing for your own loss of freedom of
hoice.  Mandatory spay/neuter laws.  You
on't live there so it doesn't affect you, but if you don't assist that area, it
urely WILL affect you in short order for it will continue to spread like a
alifornia wildfire if everybody continues to believe that 'it does
n't affect
e'.  Maybe not today, but what will tomorrow bring to your neighborhood,
tate, city, town or county?  BSL, breed specific legislation.  You don't
have
one of those breeds".  Are you sure?  It wouldn't take more than an
animal
ating neighbor, mailperson, meter reader, delivery person or some unruly
kid
rom up the street to report your five pound, barking, snarling, fence
unning 'potentially dangerous dog'  even if the dog wasn't lucky enough
et a bite in !  The next thing you know, officials are at your house and
you
re subjected to defending yourself and trying to get your dog out of
rotective custody all at great expense.  It IS important for everybody to
work
ogether for make no mistake, it
ill come to you just like it came to the other guy.  You remember him - the
ne that kept saying that it didn't affect him?  So, those of you that use
the
ld 'it doesn't affect me' excuse, think about it before you say it or come up
ith something better.

f all the emails I receive, the most common is "What can I do about it?
It's
ust the way it is."  This is not true and you are only deceiving yourself if
ou believe that.  You, we, are the only ones that CAN do something about
t. We are the ones that are losing our integrity, pride an
d reputations and
he irony is that it's being taken from us by those who don't have near the
expertise' that we have.  What they do have is talent in "marketing,
promoting
nd fund raising".  It's up to all of us to become astute in these same
areas,
everse the current trend and take back what is ours.  Need a few common
uggestions?  Here, let me help you out ...Advertise for new club members,
tart a kennel club/breed club blog, hold fun events for the public, stop by
hat place that you are 'sure' is a puppy mill, visit that commercial kennel
 get to know them before you make any comments, offer tips and
uggestions, help them, listen to
hem, befriend them, educate them and be educated in return - go over to
armer Bob's, step over those cow paddies and talk to him, ask him if he knows
is right to farm or raise livestock is endangered, go to schools and ask to
peak to the children, make arrangements to take dogs with you, get media
ttention by working with children -  sponsoring adoption days (purebred or
therwise) or turning your club classes into a class to teach responsible
nimal ownership and safety around dogs and invite parents as well as senior
itizens, get them to help with fundraising, stop by your town hall and ask for
he meeting agenda, check for any agenda subject animal related and attend the
eeting, talk to churches, hunters, any sportsmen, cal
l a special kennel club or
reed club meeting of those members that are still active (before they hang up
heir leads or take that dirt nap) and discuss ideas, research your towns and
articipate in events
ffered, check with girl scouts, boy scouts, invite them to your shows or
ublic events, attend council meetings, introduce yourself, (invite them to your
vents & shows,too), and get involved with rescue work in your breed.  Pure
reed rescue is one of the biggest problems that we have - every time one shows
p in some shelter, every breeder is accused of putting it there - the fingers
on't only point to the irresponsible breeders.  We are all affected and the
ime has now come to be effective rather than affected.

SE THAT TOOL THAT'S ON YOUR SHOULDERS

he AKC has many informative brochures, flyers and pamphlets that can be
placed
n assorted locations and they have educational programs that can be used in
chool systems.  They can provide you with CD's, DVD's, classroom workbooks
for
eachers and a large assortment of other publications that can be used
for just
bout any venue, including legislators.  Take advantage of them.  Utilize
the
ools that are available to you, especially that one that sits on your
houlders... and get creative.  We are losing everything that we've worked so
ard to achieve.  We're losing our 'expert' title, our rights, our freedom of
hoice, o
ur animals - and it just keeps coming with no end in sight, except our
emise.  There are many other organizations, pet law lists, and breed
egislation lists that are jam packed with good information that you can
use.
ll you need to do is ... DO IT - before it's too late to do, and my friends,
hat time is quick
pproaching.  The plane is circling the airport for a landing and we need
more
eople standing on the runway....!

THE CHALLENGE

he dog fancy is generally not very laid back and those that I know will fight
o the bitter end about any subject  We've always had the spit 'n' fire to
trike back.  Where is that aggressiveness now?  For those that have told
me
hat they fear some sort of retaliation, know that the more visible you are, the
ess likely you are to be targeted.  With that said, how many of you will
step
p and start working toward reversing the travesty befalling us?  How many of
ou will make an effort to stop using derogatory terms or take the time to
ducate?  How many will prove that they are part of the dedicated fancy and
ork together to make a difference?

nd, last, but not least, I don't want to forget about those in the sport that I
entioned earlier who are still intent on being vicious towards their
omrades.  Those who can't seem to get past making their own breed and club
embers miserable an
d those who can't stop complaining about or accusing their
eers of some heinous crime, hi volume breeders or commercial facilities.
ou have a "special gift" and it's time for you to put it to better use
against
hose who would see you dog-less, or just let us all know when you fall off the
ence into the AR pit so we can start working on a "potentially dangerous animal
wner" law.

inda D. Witouski
KC Judge & Delegate
KC SC Legislation Representative
egislation Chair, BOD & Delegate - Myrtle Beach Kennel Club, Inc.
egislation Chair - Minature Pinscher Club of America, Inc.
egislation Chair - Yankee Miniature Pinscher Club, Inc.
C Camo Coalition Steering Committee
C Assembly of Sportsmen's Caucuses
egislation Editor & Investigative Reporter - National Pet Press/The Dog Press
o-Author - Monthly National Legislation Report -
ttp://mnlreport.typepad.com/the_monthly_national_legi/
wner: DogLegislation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wner: MinPinInReview@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wner: SC Animal, Sportsmen & Wildlife Voting Coalition