  • From: gsdpaz2@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:04:11 -0400

Good reading on handlers list folks...

-----Original Message-----

From: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To: showgsd-l digest users <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:41 pm

Subject: showgsd-l Digest V2 #2494

showgsd-l Digest    Wed, 01 Oct 2008    Volume: 02  Issue: 2494    In This
Issue:      #1: From: "David Fritsche"<d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?RE:_ReExcellet_letter_worth_reading_?=      #2: From:
myjoygs@xxxxxxx          Subject: Re: The difference between handlers      #3:
From: "Mary-Anne" <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>          Subject: Re:
LHSH is up and running on Goodsearch!       #4: From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
 Subject: Re: The difference between handlers      #5: From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
        Subject: Re: showgsd-l Digest V2 #2493      #6: From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
         Subject: Re: LHSH is up and running on Goodsearch!
----------------------------------------------------------------------    Msg:
#1 in digest  From: "David Fritsche"<d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>  Subject:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?RE:_ReExcellet_letter_worth_reading_?=  Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008
09:08:49 -0700    Tish:       This letter is more than interesting, it
underscores some sound principles of   management and leadership. May I
recommend you send it to both lists and   anywhere else you can think of.    =2
0    Dave
���������������
    This letter just appeared on the AKC Conference List I am on.  I thought it
was   very good and made some very interesting points.         Tish    1. Open
letter response to Sept Chairman's Report      Posted by: "kranzmar"
margekranzfelder@xxxxxxxxxxxx kranzmar      Date: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:29 pm
((PDT))                     _______________________________________  No viruses
found in this outgoing message  Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.5.5
http://www.iolo.com      ------------------------------    Msg: #2 in digest
Subject: Re: The difference between handlers  Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:13:57
-0400  From: myjoygs@xxxxxxx    I agree with you Kathy, great post.? I like to
see a handler work his or her dog   to the end of the class no matter what
place they are in.? I want to see that   "look at my dog?presentation, I have
the best one in the class" competitiveness   even though that handler may be in
last place.? The class isn't over until the   judge points their finger.? It
takes experience to be able to determine what   works for each dog, some are a
piece of cake to show, some are totally a handful   but a good handler will
find out what works and make
it work.? This all comes   with experience and knowledge learned from past
experiences.? We have a lot of   young and new up and coming handlers emerging
as the "older" handlers retire,   different "class" of handlers I am not sure
what that means but young,   competitive hard working handlers who will
eventually have the knowledge and   experience.? Its a hard life being a
handler, on the road every weekend, some   have 9-5 jobs some own their own
boarding and trainin   g facility, I admire the profession and value their
insight on bloodlines   because they are out there every weekend seeing
different dogs and prodigy.  Showmanship and most important honesty in my
opinion distinguishes a good   handler!  -----Original Message-----  From:
Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>  To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx; Showgsd-l
<Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  Sent: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:05 am  Subject: [
SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The difference between handlers        I guess I am a bit
prejudiced, but there are so many that call themselves  handlers, that are
runners.  The great handlers have a "feel" for each dog, as an INDIVIDUAL, how
to show  them, what makes them look  their best, how to rate speed, leash
tension.  I see many handlers that  handle every dog the same way...  often
times strung up, because it seems to be a control issue for the  person.  The
great handlers, can look at a dog and show the dog precisely to it's  very
best.  Much to the sheer delight of the  owners. They=2
0do it without being rough handed, or without even showing how  they do
it....they just do.  The great ones get the best out of the dog and give 100%
UNBIASED effort  into each dog they show, no games  no holding back in order to
further their own agendas.  The great handlers are not just runners...they are
true SHOWMEN/WOMEN  ...they have that extra touch that  makes you go....WOW.  I
am proud to be married to one of them, he amazes me , constantly.  Kathy Tank
   http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com  Home of :  CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup
TC, 26 BOBs  CH. Victory's Leviathan  CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle
  WEBSITE PUP-DATED SEPT 22, 2008        On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:27 AM,
Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    > I was talking to
someone about handlers this morning. It got me  > thinking....we discuss the
difference between good dogs and what makes a  > dog great. So my question
is: what's the difference between a good  > handler and a great handler? In
other words, what makes a handler great?  > Best, Barbara  >  >
> POST is Copyrighted 2007.  All material remains the property of the  >
> of any kind are permitted without prior permission of the o
riginal author  >  AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
>  > ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE
IN ANY  > MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE
EXPRESS  > PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS
EXPRESSLY  > FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS
PROHIBITION WILL BE  > PROSECUTED.  >  > For assistance, please
contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx  >  > VISIT OUR WEBSITE
- www.showgsd.org  >  >

Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.     ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT
THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY MANNER     OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH
APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL     PARTIES TO THE
POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND IS A   VIOLATION OF
LAW. VIOLATORS OF
THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.     For assistance, please contact the
List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx    VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org
      ------------------------------    Msg: #3 in digest  From: "Mary-Anne"
<mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  Subject: Re: LHSH is up and running on
Goodsearch!   Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:36:02 -0400    Thanks for the tip Dawn.
I've added Goodsearch onto my toolbar so that   everytime I look for something,
you'll be credited.  I looked up the numbers   and while it hasn't earned much
yet (47cents), if we spread this far and   wide and use it often, the
contribution will be substantial.  It took me 2   minutes to download, install
and use the toolbar.  Can't get any easier than   that!  Mary-Anne  -----
Original Message -----   From: "Dawn Restuccia" <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>  To:
"gsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:06
PM  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] LHSH is up and running on Goodsearch!      Please
use Goodsearch as your search engine when you need to research on the   net! If
you list Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc as your charity of choice, we   will receive
a donation each and every time you use the site!  Also, check out
Goodshop...the online marketplace to donates a percentage of   your order
 to your favorite charity!  The Team of LHSH  Dawn Restuccia, Pres.  Last Hope,
Safe Haven Inc.  Donations may be made to:  Paypal via windwych@xxxxxxxxx

   ------------------------------    Msg: #4 in digest  From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
 Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:36:22 EDT  Subject: Re: The difference between
handlers    Zoa makes what I was going to say and doing it much better.   More,
A handler  20isn't a HANDLER unless they can make the dog look better in the
ring than I   or my next door neighbor.   A good handler doesn't make excuses
about the dog's   performance.   And the good handler never, never messes up a
dog so another   dog can win.       If a handler refuses to groom a dog, say it
up front and say how it can get   done.   Getting to the showgrounds with a
clean, but not "finished" dog and   then being told the expected last minute
"prepping" isn't going to happen is a   bad start to the day.      I'll second
Zoa's comment about taking the dog to win.   Bringing a dog to   help pay the
gas and expenses for another more favored dog, even with the best   handler
that makes dogs "sparkle" is a real turn-off.         And finally, being polite
and friendly, even if they don't have a dog for   them at that show.   Or they
are booked, and the exhibitor has somebody else   handling that day.   Some
handlers are great that way, they are gracious and   polite, and not just
friendly for the day they have your dog.   When asked for   advice about a dog,
whether they are working that dog that day or not, they take     the time...or
make a time...and talk , make the exhibitor feel part of a team.     The
personal relationship makes it all work so much better.      That makes for a
great handler.      Stormy  In a message dated 10/1/08 9:01:50 AM,
zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx write
s:      > I  > don't want a handler to lie to me about the worth of my
dog and then use my   > dog as the gas dog for the Fla Circuit,
for example.  I am also not   > interested in drama and temper tantrums at
shows.  So, the difference between   good and   > great boils down to
relationship skills for me!  >  Zoa  > Dr. Zoa Rockenstein  >
www.riverrockshepherds.com  >   >   >   > ----- Original Message
----  > From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>  > To: Showgsd-l
<Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  > Sent: Wednesday, October 1, 2008 9:27:20
AM  > Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] The difference between handlers  >   > I
was talking to someone about handlers this morning. It got me  >
thinking....we discuss the difference between good dogs and what makes a  >
dog great. So my question is: what's the difference between a good  >
handler and a great handler? In other words, what makes a handler great?  >
Best, Barbara  >             *~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*
http://www.FairhopeGSD.com  Dogs love is different. It requires no return.
  **************  Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
 calculators.        (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)
------------------------------    Msg: #5 in digest  Subject: Re: showgsd-l
Digest V2 #2493 20Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:39:54 -0400  From:
culzeans1@xxxxxxx    Zoa,  I very much agree with you. In my limited experience
I have to say I think a   great handler is one who deals honestly with you and
the dog. If they can be   with your dog and the dog wants to perform for them.
I also don't want a handler   who doesn't want to give an honest evaluation of
my dog. I can take being told   the dog isn't quite what I think it is, I
dislike dishonesty.? I think you are   right it boils down to relationship
skills.  This is why I like Ashley. As a junior she show integrity, honesty and
an   ability to form good working relationships with the dogs and people. She
is one   very talented handler and will be known as one of the "greats" in the
future. We   are fortunate to have some really really great junior handlers in
the shepherd   ring.  Pam    Msg: #4 in digest  Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:56:59
-0700 (PDT)  From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>  Subject: Re:
The difference between handlers    Interesting question.? I am going to skip
over the skills?involved in?excellent   presentation of the dog, as I'm sure
others will deal with those.? To me, two   things separate a technician from a
great handler and they both deal with?the   handler's ability to establish and
maintain relationships.? The first   relationship is with the dog.?
Some?handlers just make dogs "sparkle" in the   ring because the dog loves
working with that
handler even when the owner is not   there to double.? I can't take my eyes off
a beautiful dog working with its   handler like that.? Jimmy and Dallas come to
mind.? I can take my eyes off a   beautiful dog with a lackluster attitude in
the ring.? The second relationship   is with the owner.? I want honesty,
integrity, good sportsmanship at events, and     a sense of humor.? I also want
my handler to help me network when he or she   feels it would be beneficial to
me.? I enjoy socializing with my handler and   others at shows.? I   don't want
a handler to lie to me about the worth of my dog and then use my dog     as the
gas dog for the Fla Circuit, for?example.? I am also not interested in   drama
and temper tantrums at shows.? So,?the difference?between good and great
boils down to relationship skills for me!  ?Zoa  Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockshepherds.com                 ------------------------------
Msg: #6 in digest  From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx  Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:40:13 EDT
Subject: Re: LHSH is up and running on Goodsearch!    Just did it!   And as
often as I do internet searching..........    good   going   Stormy  In a
------------------------------    End of showgsd-l Digest V2 #2494