  • From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 16:02:16 -0400

Barbara
That was a great observation and question
Von Stephanitz had become alarmed at the trend in the breed toward oversized
square dogs. Other problems included lack of steady temperament and faults of
dentition. He and the breed wardens decided drastic measures needed to be
taken. At the 1925 Sieger show von Stephanitz selected Klodo von Boxberg as
world sieger. This dog was dramatically different from the type of dog that had
gone before him. He was of lower station, deeper and longer in body, short in
loin and with a far-reaching gait. As it turned out Klodo proved to be a potent
sire, successfully heralding a "new" type of shepherd. That same year Klodo was
imported to America by A. Gilbert of Maraldene Kennels in Hamden, Connecticut.
Klodo, through a number of important sons and daughters, is largely responsible
for the faults and virtues of modern North American lines.

That is a small paragraph from an?article printed by the Nova Scotia GSD club.
It is called The German Shepherd- a breed history.? It is just a brief history
but I found it interesting to read. Von Stephanitz was primarily interested in
a working utility dog.? But it seems from this paragraph he did not care for
oversize or too square. And he picked a dog for the 1925 Sieger who had among
other things a far-reaching gait.
I think of course our breed has a long way to go maybe not so much because we
need to improve because there is always room for improvement but because we are
a relative young breed and we should aim for the longevity of this dog. I
personally feel that the lack of temperament, functionality,structure and
strength that our standard calls for is lacking because some people were either
kennel blind or it was a blatant disregard for our standard, they felt they
should be able to interpret the standard as they saw fit, and they finished
those dogs, they put them out there week after week, bred them and bred them
and soon that is all you saw in the ring. Then other people said Whoa, wait a
minute. And slowly you see these poor specimens leaving the ring, but
unfortunately they were bred a lot?and it will take some time to correct.? I
have heard so many times that the GSD at a specialty show is different than an
all breed dog. Why? Again I say, a "specialty" is a dog show of a certa
 in breed ie: German Shepherd specialty, Golden Retriever specialty, Chinese
Crested specialty. It is not a show for a different type of GSD or a different
type of Golden or Crested.? All breeds should be judged to their own standard
period.
Some parts of the GSD seem to be new and improved, I think the good heads are
not just good but heady(pardon the pun) to look at. I believe some of the GSD's
of the last 20-30 yrs would have impressed vonStephanitz as well as some that
would make him turn over in his grave.
As is the nature of things, the more we learn about breeding, mistakes will be
made but so to will progress. The trick is to not be kennel blind and if
mistakes are made, don't make them champions or at least don't breed them, but
find a new equasion. Look at how many?continue to?insist their GSD to do more
than just be pretty, look at how many want obed, herding, agilty, tracking,
SAR. How many of us?are satisfied with just a pretty face? We all want
substance, beauty and brains, some character. In our human relationships as
well as our canine relationships.
I think as long as there are GSD's there will always be a long way to go,
because we can only strive for perfection we can never achieve it.
JMO
Pam

.......or do we still have a long way to go? As breeders, do you think
the health, the conformation, the temperament, etc., etc. has come a
long way for the better? Or perhaps, you feel that we still have a long
way to go??? The German Shepherd Dog being a relatively young breed has
seen rise to its popularity over it's little over a hundred year
introduction. Many times when something becomes popular too fast we can
see the quality of the original compromised for the "new and improved"
version as dreamed up by man. And like many other things, when
something becomes mass produced, many times the original quality and
function is sacrificed. So when our forefather of the breed, Max von
Stephanitz envisioned the German Shepherd Dog, we see pictures of a dog
with a more squared, boxy frame. Over the years, the American breeder
has put a slope to the top line, added curves where there was none
before, produced a exciting side gait rather than a functional working
stride and in general has produced a "new and improved???" version of
what Mr. Stephanitz called the German Shepherd Dog. Would he have even
recognized the German Shepherd Dog today? How much more will our
beloved breed change? I went on the web to look at other popular dogs
to see if I could see a big difference in the conformation of these
animals. I really didn't see too much change although I'm sure if I
talked to some of their breeders they would tell me otherwise. It is
often said that as breeders, we always try to improve the breed with
each litter that we produce. What is it that we're trying to improve?
How much more top line do we want? How much more hindquarter does our
dogs need? And how about that exciting side gait? Where do we go with
that? And how about the temperament? Do you feel we've come a long way
with that, and did it ever really need improvement in the first place?
So we've changed the way the German Shepherd Dog looks; how about how he
functions and what about the health of our dogs today? Do you think
that our dogs are more or less healthy today than they were years ago?
Has all the inbreeding and close line breeding sacrificed the genetic
pool for generations to come......or has this been a good thing? It is
said that change is good. What do you think? Do you think we still
have a lot of changing to do? As always, JMHO, Barbara

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:48:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Deb Sullivan <victorysbullseye@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Have we really come a long way.....

Very well said, Barbara. but if you look at the lab and Goldens they alos have
change alot..and they have health issues too.
I think the line and close line breeding has hurt our GSDs.? I never heard of
some of the health issues I hear of today 30 yrs ago.? But I am just a lover of
the breed and look for what I like for obedience and such.
But losing Wolf to EPI was a real eyeopener for me.
and it hurt like he**, but i have faith it will get better
Deb