  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <culzeans1@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 17:40:54 -0400

Phantom was a powerful and graceful mover, with a solid back, a forehand we
seldom see, and great presence.  I have branded into my mind's eye the
picture of Phantom and his 1/2 sister Ch Heinerburg's Jasmine v Caralon
gaiting side by side as Pat Parson's and I road worked them in preparation
for the shows.  Phantom was West Coast Victor and Pat handled Jasmine to
Select # 3 in Canada under the well known Art Hess.   The specials class was
huge.  Both were sired by BIS Select Ch Caralon's Hein vd Lockenheim ROM a
thoroughly German Dog whose dam was imported in whelp by Scottie and Pat.
Everything at Heinerburg goes back to Jasmine.
Nancy
    #1: From: Deb Sullivan <victorysbullseye@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Re: Disarmingly rude and ignorant
    #2: From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Great dogs of the past
    #3: From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
        Subject: Dog Pack Attacks Gator In Florida
    #4: From: gsdpaz2@xxxxxxx
        Subject: Horse Stall Mats
    #5: From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Re: Great dogs of the past
    #6: From: Kay Reamensnyder Betty Doerpinghaus <bedkar@xxxxx>
        Subject: Re: Major Reserve question
    #7: From: "sally" <dan-ann@xxxxxxxx>
    #8: From: Kay Reamensnyder Betty Doerpinghaus <bedkar@xxxxx>
        Subject: BIS #7
    #9: From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
        Subject: East Coast Quality Breeders Association
    #10:    From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
        Subject: Re: Horse Stall Mats

Msg: #1 in digest
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 10:01:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Deb Sullivan <victorysbullseye@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Big laugh! stop it. Oh my to funny
Deb
?
Deb and her Boys
Victory's Bullseye,TT.,CGC.,CD,ASCACD.
Victory's Dubh Mac Tire, CGC(Wolf) 01/23/05-03/28/2007,lost to PAA/EPI
Codie my Golden
?
?

Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 10:54:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>

     The discussion of Barb Williams, one of the greatest teachers
of the breed, sent me to a book I had not perused in years. I would
highly recommend it to any of the newer folks who truly want to
learn about the breed. This book is Anna Katherine Nicholas' THE
BOOK OF THE GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG. it is huge and is quite a record
of the breed from the 20's to the mid 80's. Some of the dogs that
probably could be competitive today are pictured : Zeto of fran Jo;
Scorpio (1973);Manix (1971); bel Vista's Joey Baby (early 70's)
Amber's Flair (1980); many more of those dogs who shaped our breed.
There is a picture of Gilligan's Island as a puppy, and then further
in the book one of him as an adult. Amazing how much one can see
of what the adult might be in the puppy picture. There is a picture
of Ch. Carolon's Phantom v Le Barland, an all black Hein son who
many said was "closest to the standard of any dog living". I would
call attention to the correct fronts on many of these great dogs of
the past. We are losing correct fronts today. There is much that can
be learned from the past and from those who really know the breed.
Anyone who has an opportunity to pick barb Williams' brain is lucky
indeed.
                            Carolyn

------------------------------

Msg: #3 in digest
From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:09:18 -0400

 At times nature can be cruel, but there is also a raw beauty, and  even
 a certain justice manifested within that cruelty.

 The alligator, one of the oldest and ultimate predators, normally
considered
the 'apex predator',
 can still fall victim to implemented 'team work' strategy, made possible
due to

 the tight knit social structure and 'survival of the pack mentality' bred
into
the canines.

 See the remarkable photograph courtesy of Nature Magazine.Note that the
Alpha
dog has a
muzzle hold on the gator preventing it from breathing, while another dog has
hold on the tail to
keep it from Thrashing. The third dog attacks the soft underbelly of the
gator.

 Not for the squeamish!  I have the photo. But you can see it at:

http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2007/03/dog_attacks_gator.php

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:12:05 -0400
From: gsdpaz2@xxxxxxx

Good Day~

?

I was wondering~ I have stall mats in our kennels and one seems to have a
smell
of off gases when the sun hits it.?AKA, tire smell. Has anyone else
experienced
this, and if so, is it hazardous?

?

Hope everyone is having a fabulous day!

?

Brenda

?

?

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:16:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>

If people are wondering where to get it, I bought mine off of Ebay for like
$10.
It's wonderful, gives you a real history of the breed, the people and
kennels
that made the breed what it is today.  I read it cover to cover.  I wish
someone
would update it with a second edition...from the 80's to now.

  Cindy
carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

kind

MANNER
ALL

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com

------------------------------

Msg: #6 in digest
From: Kay Reamensnyder Betty Doerpinghaus <bedkar@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 18:31:54 +0000

NO!

 -Kay Reamensnyder and Betty Doerpinghaus -Home of Bedkar German Shepherds
-bedkar@xxxxx -Visit our Website:  www.bedkargsd.com > From:
Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Major Reserve
question>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 18:38:05 -0400> > > If a bitch goes reserve and the
bitch
side is not a major, but then > the WB> goes BOW over the male side, is the
reserve from the bitch side then> considered a major reserve?> Thanks!> >
Cyndy

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
From: "sally" <dan-ann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 13:49:43 -0500

Carolyn
  Isn't that the book that has the picture of the blue  champion in ?  I
bought it years ago -  let some one take it home to look at and never saw it
again
Sally
www.embroiderybysally.org
      new designs

------------------------------

Msg: #8 in digest
From: Kay Reamensnyder Betty Doerpinghaus <bedkar@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 18:52:12 +0000

Ch. Von Hamm Bedkar Leathern' Lace (Stevie) took another Best in Show
on Monday at Coeur dAlene  Dog Fanciers in Idaho.
BOB from Don Willet....Group One from Joan Zielinski and BIS from Dr. Dale
Simmons.
Thank you to all of the judges and to the crowd that rocked the hall when
Stevie
moved around the ring for BIS.

Stevie is handled by the incomparable Julie Hamaski...they are an incredible
team.
Von Hamm and Bedkar consider ourselves very fortunate to have this talented
and
professional handler take Stevie around the ring for us.

 -Kay Reamensnyder and Betty Doerpinghaus -Home of Bedkar German Shepherds
-bedkar@xxxxx -Visit our Website:  www.bedkargsd.com

------------------------------

Msg: #9 in digest
From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:54:02 -0400

ANYONE ELSE GET THIS?

We are currently in the process of setting up an association for quality
breeders on the East Coast.  It is the "East Coast Quality Breeders
Association" (ECQBA.org).  We are in development stages right now but we do
have our website up and operational for several states already.  We are open
to quality breeders all over the United States, as well as concerned dog
owners, but currently only offer separate legislation updates for those on
the East Coast.  We have recently added legislation in "other states" to our
website by popular demand.  If we have enough members from the West Coast
and / or Central US then we will consider setting up sister associations for
those areas as well.

We have two main goals - the first is to inform our members of current and
pending legislation in their areas - there are so many laws and proposed
laws governing dogs that we wish our members to become aware of and involved
in helping to pass / or boycott some of them.  We aim to provide a central
point  for Quality Breeders and Concerned Dog Owners alike to be able to
view and act on these laws.  There is currently a "spay neuter" law that is
creeping across the nation where you have to get your pup altered at the age
of four months!  If you wish to retain your dog "in tact" then there is a
yearly licensing fee of $1,000 per dog.  Most owners are not aware of this
new legislation until it has already been passed in their area and they
receive fines.

Our second goal is to provide a forum for Quality Breeders and prospective
puppy purchasers to ask questions so that those that are more experienced
can advise those needing help or in finding the best breed for their family
and situation.  You may have a female in season or in whelp and come across
a problem - post it to the list and receive answers immediately from those
that have had similar experiences.

We also offer a breeder directory of our members, as well as nationwide
resources pages and individual state resources.  We are currently developing
several partnerships so that we will be able to offer reduced prices for dog
food, kennel supplies and veterinarian services in your area.

We now have several partners and are able to offer you a six month trial
bronze membership at no cost.  We have provided a link in the center of our
home page so that you can click through and sign up for your trial.  We
would like to thank PupClassifieds.com for their recent support.

Please visit our site frequently as it is being updated and developed daily.
Legislation postings are made on a monthly basis by state. We hope to have
all of our information listed by the end of May 2008.

If you have a resource in your area that you would like to see listed, or if
you provide, or know of a service, that can help our members please contact
us.  Please also tell others about us - the more members we have the
stronger we are as a community and as a voice.

Thank you for your time,

Sarah Halbeck

Founder / Executive Director

East Coast Quality Breeders Association

Legislation, Information, Education & Resources

For Quality Dog Breeders

www.ecqba.org <http://www.ecqba.org/>

membership@xxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Msg: #10 in digest
From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 13:55:16 -0500

I've had just a semi - fab day, but your interesting post below has truly
made it fabulous!
No, really  -- just kidding.  I've had horses most all my life and those
mats are great as
we used them in our trailers and they are great for the dogs as well.  They
are made for
"animals" and mostly rubber I think.  I have never known them to harm anyone
at all.
So, not to worry, just know the smell is and will be there, until, the pooop
etc. smells
start sinking in those grooves ---  yep, kidding again here!!  You have a
great day too.
(Not sure if I'll go back to lurking, chatting is too much FUN. --  I did
TRY
to get into the new chat room - doggy -- but had trouble with "joining" due
the passwords etc. that I couldn't seem to come up with and it has been the
same for
me in a lot of lists etc. that I've been invited to join; very non
computerish person
that I am.    Norma the farm country gal who is definitely NOT normal
I was wondering~ I have stall mats in our kennels and one seems to have a
smell of off gases
when the sun hits it.?AKA, tire smell. Has anyone else experienced this, and
if so, is it hazardous?
Hope everyone is having a fabulous day!          Brenda

End of showgsd-l Digest V2 #1362