  • From: gsdpaz2@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:42:09 -0400

On the topic of climate/transplants~Born and raised in SanDiego Calif, moved to
New England 29 years ago after the birth of my son- I'm still trying to get use
to the winters, however I love the wide open space.

?

Let's have a National out this way sometime guys~Del Mar~New England what the
heck~all us dog folks love to travel. :)

?

Fall is the best! Dog love-humans love-life is good.

?

Brenda

From: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx          Subject: Re: Costume party      #5: From:
Terry Cochran fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>          Subject: Re: Shake! Rattle and
Roll!!!      #6: From: Ruth Scheubler rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Shake! Rattle and Roll!!!      #7: From: Jessica MacMillan
spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>          Subject: Re: Costume party      #8: From:
ELG440@xxxxxxx          Subject:  Not all bad
----------------------------------------------------------------------    Msg:
#1 in digest  Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:20:28 -0700 (PDT)  From: sheila
lieberman dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>  Subject: Re: The
 Four Seasons    Until 2000 I lived in the mid Atlantic, Pittsburgh and DC.  I
get that the dogs   like the snow, but when I want their opinion, I will give
it to them.         The Corgies would burrow under the snow banks an pop up
with great abandon.    The GSD's love to eat it and play with it.  The Rottie
used to like to "help" me   shovel the driveway by biting the snow as it fell
from my shovel.         BUT I HATE SNOW.  I hate wearing so many layers I can't
find myself, I hate   taking 10 minutes to get dressed to walk the dogs or go
shopping.  I hate having   to dress warm to get into the car and then take an
extra cart to put the coats   in so we can shop without overheating.
Sadly, global warming is making more and more of the country warm in the
winter all the time.         But Miami is still the nicest warm spot I have
ever visited or lived in.    sheila  Jessica MacMillan spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:    I am giggling over all these posts... All these
 anti-snow, pro-sun people!    I live in Western WI, right along the St. Croix
River. The minute everyone hears   that, they all groan "oh, its soo cold
there, etc".. Our last few years have   been WIMPY WIMPY WIMPY!!! My friends in
NY have gotten more snow and more cold   than we have.    When we DO get snow,
my GSDs LOVE it. Simmie, who is 8 gets all wound up, and   bolts through the
door to get out in to the first snow.. And there is nothing   more fun than
making pathes and chasing a ball.... And the smells are sooo good.   This will
be Pepper's first winter as a teenager and I cannot wait to see what   she
does...    When I was a little girl and lived in MN, we used to get REAL winter
- snow up   to our shoulders, huge mounds to climb on, etc. I walked to grade
school (about   a half mile) and there was nothing more fun than a fresh batch
of snow... Cold   never bothered us - we were out until the stars were showing.
I remember it used   to be really cold on New Years Ev
 e and you could hear the wind howling, yet   everyone would still be outside.
  The Dalmatians LOVE snow too.. Only problem is they have figured out that if
the   snow banks along mom's privacy fence, they can walk OVER the 6 foot tall
privacy   fence.    The best is when we had bitches in for breeding from the
warm climates.... They   too loved snow - they always came with their thick
winter coats, not hair, but   real coats, stretch, yawn, get out of the crate
and go crazy because the snow   was so exciting.    I personally love winter,
but wish it wasn't as long as it is :-)    Jess Mac  Paisley Dals
(www.paisleydals.com)  & The Shepherd Girls
 ct: Re: Snow or SUN  Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:27:22 -0700    Our kids believe
it.    THEY DID IT!!!         Almost lost one for a moment in an under-snow
stream that had accumulated during   the night with   a Chinook wind that was
melting the snow underneath and we couldn't   tell.....YIKES!!  Grand Kids all
go up to snow board and ski in the same area.........so THEY   BELIEVE IT!!
  To make this dog related....the GSD coat is PERFECT in snow country as long
as   it the correct   harsh coat and not the soft coats we are starting to see.
   Long coats are a   nightmare as their coat  and any soft or silky coat gets
balls of frozen snow on them and it is hard to   get it to melt off.   The
correct normal coats stay clean and dry in snow......two shakes and they are
dry   .......and clean.    Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  www.Marhaven.com
   ----- Original Message -----     From: Liane Fossland To:
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx ;   Showgsd-l@fre
 elists.org     Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:50 AM    Subject: [
SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Not all bad or SUN        Do you remember telling your kids how
you had to walk to school in knee deep   snow and snow     drifts that reached
your shoulders (as kids)? And then they'd respond: Yeah,   right! Not believing
    you for one minute. And that's exactly the way it was. We were wrapped up
right to the top of    our heads in wooly stuff, snow boots and all. Once at
the school,get the outer   layers off and then     go into the classroom with
one wood burning stove in the room. Sitting in   front of the class was     an
honor as your feet would not get cold, the stove was close to the teacher's
desk. And the     bathrooms were outside. You had better do your business fast
otherwise your   hindy would freeze     to the rim.     Parents did not walk
you to school nor did they pick you up. But it always   was a feast to come
home and have mom waiting with hot chocolate and co
 okies. And the house warm   and toasty.     I remember my dad boasting of
having the first central heating in town. Those   were the    days!  Lee
 arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:      Evan you describe a beautiful setting,
typical of a Holiday card,  and   youdon't want to go there?      I think for
many of us who have become California transplants from states    > where we
always had  a white Christmas, that many of those places are a nice   > place
to    visit.......but we wouldn't want to   live there now.
    That goes for North Dakota too.  I remember as a child building snow caves
 out of   the huge snow     drifts and actually walking up on the frozen drifts
to the tops of houses.  I   wonder now how my Dad     ever made it to work
every day....     To make it dog related, I had a Flat   Coated Retriever who
used     to trudge along with me sledding.    When we would get home
 I had to pick the   ice chunks out of his     coat and feet.  I wouldn't even
want    to VISIT North Dakota again.....      Jamie

  I am born and raised Californian and lived in snow Country in
"Sunny"California In the Tahoe / Donner      area.  We had icicles on our eaves
4 ft. long and I threw a ball every   morning for the dogs to break a trail
 through the snow to get up to the road so the kids could go through the
trail with 8 ft. high walls of snow       to catch the school bus.    We had
one dog that spent all winter burying   those long icicles like bones!      The
dogs ( GSD )  would play with the kids on the sleds and rode toboggans   with
them and would lay      curled up like Huskies out in the snow while the kids
played .....and as it   snowed it  would literally cover       them up as they
waited for the kids to get through playing on the hill
  with   their sleds.      Our kids wouldn't come in to warm up by the fire
until their hair sticking   below their hats was frozen....      California has
it's share of freezing snowy winters......just not where Evan   lives.
We left the snow Country in 1971.......can't say I miss it.....but we still
get a little snow here occasionally      in the foothills of the snow Country
of California.   It's not all beaches   and convertibles as Evan says.
    Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx      www.Marhaven.com
the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.       ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE
THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY    MANNER
 OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS    PERMISSION
OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY    FORBIDDEN,
AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE    PROSECUTED.

Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.       ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT
THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY   MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH
APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION   OF ALL PARTIES TO THE P
 OST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND   IS A VIOLATION OF
LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.       For assistance,
please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx      VISIT OUR WEBSITE
- www.showgsd.org
  ------------------------------    Msg: #3 in digest  From: "Mary-Anne"
mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  Subject: Re: The Four Seasons  Date: Wed, 31
Oct 2007 12:29:11 -0400    I  have to interject here with everybody praising
the sunny south that on   the 31st of October up here in the frozen wastes of
the north country   (Northern Ontario Canada) it is currently 66 degrees
Fahrenheit with a light   South wind and the dogs are having a blast enjoying
the warm Fall weather.   Our earthquakes are usually called rockbursts and only
happen in the nickel   mines that fuel our economy(perhaps one every two
years).  We don't have   tornadoes, we have wi
 nd shear that may take down an old barn but little   else.  Our forest fires
usually stay in the forests and our winters, while   very cold, are also very
dry so that we can enjoy the snowmobile trails that   lead to our back door
over the lake that has frozen perfectly for skating.   Our snakes are not
poisonous and hibernate, our bears are hungry but   hibernate and the wolves
have enough deer, rabbit and moose to keep them   away from the house.   On New
Year's Eve last year, we had a little frozen   rain but not enough to even
warrant wearing my down parka out to the dance.   Our big problem here is
boredom as the ratio of shows/trials goes down   exponentially the further
north you come in winter so while we have the time   to train, we no longer
have the deadline of a trial as incentive.  Yeah, it   gets cold and depressing
for a while but hey until the mosquitoes come out,   we live in "God's Country"
and both the dogs and I wouldn't trade it for all   the hurricanes,
  tornadoes, wildfires, earthquakes, scorpions, rattlers and   overpopulation
anywhere.  Mary-Anne  C C Mistral of Waldenridge CGN CD TD AGN TEC RN (Caro)
HIC  Tersha's Magnum Force  CGN TEC HIC    ----- Original Message -----   From:
"Jessica MacMillan" spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>  To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
windwalkergsds@xxxxxx>;   showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  Sent: Wednesday, October
31, 2007 11:22 AM  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] The Four Seasons      I am giggling
over all these posts... All these anti-snow, pro-sun people!    I
------------------------------    Msg: #4 in digest  From:
Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx  Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:31:51 EDT  Subject: Re:
Costume party    In a message dated 10/31/2007 9:02:49 AM Mountain Daylight
Time,   cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:   > Go to Goodwill - great costume ideas
there. Little old lady is an easy  > one...gray wig, old dress, shoes and
support hose. Bet you can get all that  > at Goodwill.  One I always thought
would be fun and e
 asy, tho' I've never had the nerve to   try it:  Just wrap yourself in cotton
batting, afix a rope to the top of your head and   go as a Tampax.        Jamie
          ------------------------------    Msg: #5 in digest  Date: Wed, 31
Oct 2007 09:37:14 -0700 (PDT)  From: Terry Cochran fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Shake! Rattle and Roll!!!    We will use one of the pics from the
This is Not Bill Po0ster we were working on   :0)         Terry      Bill Basu
billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Last night, i was comfortably positioned in my
favorite position(lying on the   couch ready to watch the season opener of my
beloved Golden State Warriors!!!!)   when all of sudden the house started to
Shake! Rattle and Roll!!! I mean when a   3500 sq ft house shakes, rattles and
rolls trust me, you feel totallly helpless.  My 11 yr old daughter came flying
down the stairs(i have a three story house, so   there are a lot of stairs) and
proceeded to trip over the last few steps and
  came tumbling down crying and hysterical. She was scrared by OK.   We just
went thru 15 seconds(it always seems much longer) of a 5.6 level   Earthquake
with the epi center about 5 miles from my house.   So what thoughts ran thru my
head!!!    - Damn, i knew i should have taken Earthquake Insurance    - Why did
this have to happen on Warriors Opening Night and disrupt my peace.    - Will
the picture of the GVX and me be my obituary picture.    - How quickly can i
finish that Living Trust that i have been putting off.    Anyway we are ok, but
i will be calling my insurance agent as soon as possible.    Bill
Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.     ALL PERSONS AR
 E ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY MANNER   OF ANY
MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL
VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.     For
assistance, please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx    VISIT
OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org
Tall frame houses do manage to shake and   roll!!         I remember 1 quake
while sitting in the office
 at Wodin's. The kennel was   located in the foothills, sitting several hundred
feet above the valley and with   a view all the way to Oakland. I was on the
phone to someone in Palo Alto when I   saw the side of the hill rolling at me
just like a wave on the ocean. It got to   the office and the floor rose and
fell like a wave passing under me. I explained   what I had just felt when a
few seconds later the person on the other side of   the line felt it there.
Then there were those nice short shaky ones ranging   betwen 5-5.5 that always
seemed to hit the Calavaras fault behind us and bounced   everything. The dogs
would generally get really quiet, but you would never put 2   and 2 together
until after the quake. I always preferred the rolling quakes to   the julting
ones.          A few years after moving up here outside Portland, this area was
hit by a 5.5   quake. It was sort of funny watcing everyone like they had just
felt "The BIG   ONE".          Didn't Evan just wonde
 r if the heat fromt he fires had lessened the stresses?   Maybe just moved
north????    Ruth  Bill Basu billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Last night, i was
please contact the List Management at admin@sh
 owgsd.org.    VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org
http://mail.yahoo.com       ------------------------------    Msg: #7 in digest
 From: Jessica MacMillan spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>  Subject: Re: Costume party
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:42:27 -0500    Popular costum in MN this year is the
Larry Craig costume. Get a refridgerator   box, paint it greyish and paint a
latch on it. Wear flesh colored pantyhose and   have your pants around your
legs. And for a treat (hopefully no tricks) tap your   foot and wave your hand
under the door.     Jess Mac  Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)  & The
Shepherd Girls> From: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007   12:31:51
-0400> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Costume party> To:   showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> In a message da
 ted 10/31/2007 9:02:49 AM Mountain   Daylight Time, > cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
writes: > > Go to Goodwill - great costume   ideas there. Little old lady is an
easy> > one...gray wig, old dress, shoes and   support hose. Bet you can get
all that> > at Goodwill.> One I always thought   would be fun and easy, tho'
I've never had the nerve to > try it:> Just wrap   yourself in cotton batting,
afix a rope to the top of your head and > go as a   Tampax. > Jamie
_________________________________________________________________  Climb to the
top of the charts!? Play Star Shuffle:? the word scramble challenge   with star
power.
------------------------------    Msg: #8 in digest  From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:44:45 EDT  Subject:  Not all bad          In a
message dated 10/30/07 7:40:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:  I think  for many of us who have become Ca
 lifornia transplants from states   where we  always had a white Christmas,
that many of those places are a nice   place  to visit.......but we wouldn't
want to live there  now.          I won't even get ice out of the refrigerator,
I have Tedi do it. I never    want to see snow again. I did, however, enjoy it
in Colorado a few weeks ago. It      helped that I saw it on the way to the
airport to leave.     Taking care of dogs in the snow and ice is not my idea of
a good  time.     Evan  (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)   Asgard German Shepherds
 http://www.asgardgsd.com/  Where Type Movement and Temperament come  together
http://www.aol.com        ------------------------------    End of showgsd-l

http://mail.aol.com