  • From: SUSAN SULLIVAN <susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:30:09 -0800 (PST)

Doris,
      This is and was the reasoning behind the rule change, and for some parts
of the country, it made good sense.  The club also had to originally
demonstrate such a hardship.  Then the delegate from the GSA worked to change
the rule ot allow specialties to hold back-to-backs, as per the memberships
requests.  As a delegate representing an all-breed club from an area where
there are dog shows within two hours every weekend, I felt they should have
continued the case by case decisions.  I think it has hurt entries in  areas
like New England. but is certainly valid in Montana and Alaska.
We have had a number of specialty clubs in this area fold or quit giving shows
this year.
Susan

When the AKC changed the rules and clubs began doing back-to-back shows,
many times it was because this was easier than doing two separate events a
year. The AKC required two yearly events from the Specialty clubs. In a
smaller club, it was easier to get the members to work one weekend and be
done with it, than to have another event at another time of the year. Also,
it was felt that perhaps the club could make a profit by doing a two show
weekend.

Now it looks as though the plan is out of control, and we are inundated with
dog shows. Remember the old saying about "too much of a good thing?"
Doris Estabrook

Susan w. Sullivan
Firethorn Farm
German Shepherd Dogs