  • From: "Barbara Lee WILLIAMS" <santanagsd1954@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:58:31 -0800

A CORRECT  PROSTERNUM ONLY OCCURS WITH GS WHO HAVE THE DESIRED STANDARD CORRECT
LENGTH AND LAYBACK OF SHOULDER-BLADE AND THE CORRECT LENGTH AND ANGULATION OF
THE UPPER ARM...ALONG WITH AN IDEAL RIB-CAGE, WHICH, IDEALLY, IS  WELL-CARRIED
FORWARD.. OVAL-SHAPED, NOT BARRELED NOR SLAB SIDED..
MANY GET FOOLED BY FALSE PROSTERNUMS  WHICH WERE ONCE CALLED 'POUTER PIGEON  '
FRONTS... OR
'FALSE FRONTS'... OFTEN SEEN ON   THOSE EXHIBITING INCORRECT RIBBING..AS WELL
AS FORE-QUARTER ANGULATION.. MANY OF THE OLD ENGLISH BRED  GS HAD THESE 'FAKE'
FRONTS.
  . MANY OF THE GS TODAY  LACK PROSTERNUMS BECAUSE THEY LACK CORRECT ANGULATION
AND FORMATION OF THE FORE=QUARTER.., WHICH IS PART AND PARCEL OF  "THE RIBBING"
, WHICH IS AN OFTEN OVER-LOOKED, OR LITTLE ATTENTION PAID TO,  MOST IMPORTANT
AND ONE OF THE MOST  VALUABLE  PARTS  OF THE ENTIRE FORE-QUARTER AND  BACK.. ..
 .JMO BARB WILLIAMS
  #1: From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:vande001@xxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: Interesting discussion - prosternum
  #2: From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: Thanks AKC
  #3: From: "Becky T. Dickson" <gretchanya@xxxxxxx<mailto:gretchanya@xxxxxxx>>
  Subject: That poison pen -- err, typewriter
  #4: From: lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: January Shows Orlando Florida
  #5: From: Gsdjudge@xxxxxxx<mailto:Gsdjudge@xxxxxxx>
  Subject: Re: For fun
  #6: From: "Diane Beckman"
<d.beckman@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:d.beckman@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: FW: Re: If for fun.....
  #7: From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: just for fun...if not GSDs...what would you have?
  #8: From: Jessica MacMillan
<spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>>

  Msg: #1 in digest
  Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:03:40 -0800 (PST)
  From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:vande001@xxxxxxxxx>>

  Some of the best prosternums I have ever seen were on the Covy-Tucker Hills
dogs of the late 70s and 80s.  They were phenominal.  Low stationed dogs,
plush, plush, plush, maybe a tad long for some, but the poll of the necks and
prosternums were awesome.     Cynthia
  Denise Bostrom Denise Bostrom
<denise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:denise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
 wrote:   On my dogs I like to see a good prominent prosternum. My
understanding is
  it provides support for muscles necessary to have good front reach. (please
  correct me if I am wrong here).

  Denise
  From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:06:12 -0500

  Deb - I think if you don't live in the east, you have absolutely no idea how
  hard it is to find sites at all, never mind to have specialties in the
  wintertime.

     Those of us who have been to the Monroe, LA, weekend, know that it is
  possible to have lovely specialties indoors.  And without AKC harrassment,
  at that.  Of course, some reps are worse than others...it does seem that the
  worst of them get stationed in the New England area (or Ohio) - and we've
  had some real stinkers here in the Mid Atlantic area, too.

         I'm not a fan of the Fitchburg building...but if those clubs could
  get indoors and have two specialties plus two additional days of breeder
  judges, for our side of the country, that's pretty damn good.   I for one
  don't believe the GSD people were really disrupting the other rings---all
  the talk around the country about what went on there has been anti-rep, not
  anti GSD fancy.

      Of course the AKC is going to back up the reps...a bunch of people who
  all failed at "real" jobs...even the former handlers were, for the most
  part, failures at that.......
          As for thinking it was OK for the rep to lay hands on, Gator
  obviously doesn't believe it, since that letter as plain as the nose on your
  face called Becky
  and everyone else who complained a liar.............

      I for one have never minded not judging in New England...the all-breed
  politics there are the nastiest in the country.  Specialties are one
  thing...the all breeds there are something else.  I have an assignment there
  next spring...which I will cancel as soon as I get this post sent.  I just
  won't judge up there anymore......... and while I wouldn't ask the
  exhibitors not to show in their own part of the country, I would sure as
  hell avoid Fitchburg like the plague.
  Peggy

  Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:17:05 -0500
  From: "Becky T. Dickson" <gretchanya@xxxxxxx<mailto:gretchanya@xxxxxxx>>

   Becky opines:

  Dear Mr. Gaeta -

  Thank you for replying to my note regarding the events at the Fitchburg,
Mass., shows.

  I am assuming, and please correct me if I am wrong, that when you refer
  to "credible" reports in the below email, you are not implying that I
  am a liar.

  I am disappointed to hear that the AKC will not take a stand on the
  matter of its Rep behaving in what was clearly an unacceptable manner.
  I wish I could say I was surprised.

  Please be advised that the next time an AKC Rep lays a hand on me, (and
  I am sure that she will, knowing you will back her) I will not bother
  to file a complaint. Instead, I will call the police and have her
  charged with assault.

  It is unfortunate that any of these events took place. It will be more
  unfortunate should it have a negative impact on GSD entries in the
  Northeast.

   Sincerely,

  Becky T. Dickson

  Becky T. Dickson
  www.GretchAnya.com<http://www.gretchanya.com/>
  www.GSDbyDesign.com<http://www.gsdbydesign.com/>
  www.georgeberstler.com<http://www.georgeberstler.com/>

http://webmail.aol.com<http://webmail.aol.com/>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #4 in digest
  From: lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:19:12 +0000

  If you are coming down for the circuit if specialties shows that have been
shamelessly promoted (vbg) on the list, please join dog friends Saturday Night
after the dog shows at The Comedy Club.
  The comedy show starts at 8 PM Saturday, headquarters Holiday Inn in
Altamonte Springs.  I spoke to the club and tickets are $8.  (can be purchased
the night of). He recommended that I give him a head count to accommodate
seating.  Please send me an email if you think you have an interest in laughing
with us.  Or, find me at the show and I will get a list together that day.

  Also, there is an open mike night Tuesday- for those who feel adventurous and
want to show us what comedians they are outside of the dog show arena. I don't
care who you are, it beats karaoke!

  Now you have no reason to not come down, sunshine and laughter. Enter a puppy
and have some laughs.  Linda Bankhead

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #5 in digest
  From: Gsdjudge@xxxxxxx<mailto:Gsdjudge@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:23:00 EST

  In a message dated 12/11/2007 1:00:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
  SallyHH31@xxxxxxx<mailto:SallyHH31@xxxxxxx> writes:
  Well I  am 76 and have 6 adult Shepherds. They are very hard on my thin skin

  but I don't mind.

  SAlly: I know i'm just a youngster compared to you at only70, but i know
  just where you're coming from.Damn thin skin! I too have 6 adult shepherds
and i
  feel most of the time i'm the only one supporting the Johnson and  Johnson
  BandAid compamy. I always look like i've been in a knife  fight. My dogs love
me
  to death. Gobi, my pet male, is 29 inchs at the  whither and weighs 123
  pounds. When he gets to playing with me, i have to be  darn carefull.
Unfortunately
  i don't know how much longer that i'll be in good  enough physical condition
  to rough house with him or any of the others for that  matter, but until that
  time they're sure fun and i love em to  death.         Bud..

(http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004<http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004>)

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #6 in digest
  From: "Diane Beckman" <d.beckman@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:d.beckman@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:24:52 -0600

  If I couldn't have a GS I would have something so small I could carry around
  in my arms.  Like a poodle..I've had big dogs for over 20 years, and they
  have dislocated my shoulder, fractured an ankle, knocked me down the stairs
  and I'm getting older now.  I would have something under 10lbs. haha  That's
  what I say, but what I would do, is get another GS:)  Diane

  From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:44:13 -0500

  Oh, Penny!!!  Beagles aren't dumb at all...they just have a mindset that has
  nothing to do with their humans!!!!
        Peggy  (laughing)

  From: Jessica MacMillan
<spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:47:22 -0600

  Hiya - I love a good posternum, but come from a breed that does not talk
about it at all in their standard. Some years ago I showed a liver dog who had
it and I had more people come up to him and look at it because they had never
seen it on a dal..

  Unfortunately, I am not sure how it fits for having reach in front as most of
the breeds that came up in the original question (Dobes, Weims, etc) have tons
(too much) and don't, at this moment have much reach..

  Equation goes like this = if you have good shoulders, you TYPICALLY have
posternum because the shoulders are in the right place (in addition to
everything else), but posternum doesn't necessarily equal good shoulders.

  JMHO.

  Jess Mac
  Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com<http://www.paisleydals.com/>)
  & The Shepherd Girls

  ******************************> Denise Bostrom Denise Bostrom
<denise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:denise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
 wrote: On my dogs I like to see a good prominent prosternum. My understanding
is> it provides support for muscles necessary to have good front reach.
(please> correct me if I am wrong here).

http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_sharelife_122007<http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_sharelife_122007>

  End of showgsd-l Digest V1 #145