[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: show VS pet

  • From: lollark@xxxxxxx
  • To: almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <Anja_Heibloem-Stroud@xxxxxxx>, "showgsdlistnew" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:50:23 +0000

Seems like a crazy cycle to me.  The newbie admires gsds and wants to get
involved in showing but no reputable breeder will trust them with a TRUE show
prospect (understandably so) so they get the best they can (which may be what
the fancy refer to as "pet" and the newbie can't honestly tell the difference
yet) and they get in the game.  They may indeed look foolish to the
knowledgable eye but they are learning and interested.  The tough determined
ones meet people and learn the rules of the game and do find that eventually
someone may trust them with a quality dog.   My guess is many do get
discouraged and quit.  That's why I love the idea of the mentoring program and
someday I may know enough to be one too.  I'd love helping new people join the
fun.
Just curious.  Do most of you encourage your new owners to join their local gsd
club?

I have been blessed with the Rocky Mountain GSD club.  Everyone has been very
supportive of my interest and overlooked my stupidity :-) as a new person.
I've had many kind experts help me learn and I'm soaking it up like a sponge
plus reading every gsd book I can get my hands on, watching videos, and taking
my girl to conformation and obedience classes.  I'm working my butt off trying
to catch up with the rest of you but I'm usually a quick learner.

Friday night our new puppy Caisson's Atlanta Burning (Sherman) was on the
flight from Atlanta (Dallas x Cassie).  THANK YOU Julie Degen for trusting us
with this beautiful male.  What a piece of work-I'm going to enjoy watching him
develop.

Karen Lollar

-------------- Original message from <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------